Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hydrolocked engine and insurance questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hydrolocked engine and insurance questions

Well I hydrolocked my engine this past Thursday after leaving work here in Dallas. It rained all day and the streets were flooded when I got out of work. Every damn intersection for miles was covered with water so I had to try. Just as I was about to make it through, a big rig comes along and just covers my car with water. At this point, smoke fills the cabin and it dies. I get it towed home hoping for the best. After inspecting it we found that the block is busted open on the bottom. Anyway long story long, it's covered under my State Farm insurance. Should I take it to a dealer for a new engine quote or to a speed shop. It had 173,000 miles on it and was a full bolt on/cam car. How can I get the best deal and what will they throw in there since they no longer make the regular ls1.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

You can still get a new LS1

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-15-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
You can still get a new LS1
How much are them bad boys?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the INS will write estimate for a used motor.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maxgee
the INS will write estimate for a used motor.
We will see what happens today at 5:30. I wonder if I should remove any signs of my nitrous kit before he looks at it. It hasn't been used for over two years and the bottle and brackets are not even in the car. I just wonder if he will try and give me a hard time about it. I talked to the Chevy house and they told me they could replace it under my insurance so I don't know what to do. I guess I'll see what the adjuster says and then get some some quotes for repair. The dealer did say if they replaced it it would be with a new 6.0 gto motor. That would make my pee pee hard.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hydrolocked my engine about 5 years ago and it was covered by insurance, but they would not pay for a new engine, only a junkyard unit. They said that a new engine would make the car like new when it had 24000 miles on it and based on depreciation they would not pay to make it "better" than it was before. They located the junkyard unit and required that a shop install the core that they located. On top of that, the "new" engine had over 33000 miles on it. That's a bunch of crap and unacceptable in my book!

My incident occurred in the flooded parking lot of a convienience store, so I went out on a limb and filed a complaint with them. To make a long story short, they referred me to their insurance company and bottom line they paid for a new crate long block. The sweet part was the fact that they had approved me to get it from a local dealer, but by doing some shopping around, I found an LS6 longblock cheaper from an out of state dealer and they approved the purchase of that instead! Turned a crappy situation into something good!

Anyway, sorry to hear about your misfortune and good luck with getting it fixed. I just wanted to give you a heads up on the games the insurance companies play.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

See if they will cash you out, and buy your own stuff. Get an estimate on costs, and have that ready. And then negotiate a cash deal with the insurance company, and take care of it yourself. I bet you can get WAY more doing it that way.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by deelong4002
See if they will cash you out, and buy your own stuff. Get an estimate on costs, and have that ready. And then negotiate a cash deal with the insurance company, and take care of it yourself. I bet you can get WAY more doing it that way.
I just got the qoute from Chevy and if they do it, it will be 6,489 dollars. The insurance guy will probably offer half of that. wtf What do I do if that's the case.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

hope they dont call it a total, but you could maybe buy it back-the ins co's are looking to save money, lot of cash has been spent on nat. disasters-hope you make out, but dont expect a new engine, they may also write the ck to the dealer or garage, not you
Old 06-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The adjuster will determine the value at the time of loss. When you check your policy it says specifically.

ACV less deductible.

ACV stands for, Actual Cash Value which means good old depreciation.

Depending on the year, make, and model that are going to determine the value, then see how much this swap will be. R&R motor, get a used motor from a junk yard, MAYBE you can get a fresh rebuild done for it. And put her back in.

Depending on the job you may come close but for these cars it should not be totalled but it is up to the adjuster.

Quick Reply: hydrolocked engine and insurance questions