General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad shake during deceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad shake during deceleration?

Whenever I'm at highway speeds, and I just let off the gas, I get a bad shake, that seems like it's coming from the right rear area. It also does it when I'm taking a curve to the left on the highway. I've had people say that it could be the driveshaft or U-joints. But, even after swapping to the LS1 aluminum DS with brand new U-joints it does it. Then, I thought maybe my wheel was out of balance. That's not it, because it does it with my stock wheels too. It sounds like something's loose and vibrating in the right rear. I don't know if it's related to what's making it shake, or if it's just something in the car that's making the noise because it's shaking. I was also thinking maybe it's suspension related, but then it should do it on acceleration too, shouldn't it? Anyone have any ideas? It's really starting to get annoying.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It wouldn't necessarily do it on acceleration too. The drivetrain loads and unloads differently, one way can be damaging something where the other way can be just fine. ie: broken motor mounts and tranny mounts.

Put it up in the air and check everything out. Bushings, springs, shocks, connecting bolts, rear-end bolts, sway bar, exhaust system, etc.....

Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

The alignment being off, and causing my front left tire to basically be bald on the inner tread, wouldn't cause what I said in the first post would it? Because, you'd think it'd be happening all the time with that, and not just when I let off the throttle. Also, it'd feel like it's coming from that part of the car instead of the complete opposite corner, wouldnt it? I've got the afternoon off, so I'm going to get under the car and check everything out and see if I can find anything. If I can't, the car's going in to get my 3.90's put in on Friday, and I'm having them change the bad tire and do an alignment. Then, we'll see if that fixes it.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I got the problem fixed. I got under it, grabbed my right LCA, and was able to shake it and it made the clunking sound I kept hearing when the car would shake. I tightened the bolts on it, and the other side, and didn't notice any shaking or noise on the way home. I had a very slight shake. But, I could tell it was coming from the alignment and the front left tire. But, that'll be fixed on Friday.

Quick Reply: Bad shake during deceleration?