Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good idea to quiet duals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good idea to quiet duals?

http://summitracing.com/parts/MPE-14419/

Maybe it's just because I don't drive the car daily any more, but when I have to drive this thing on the highway for any length of time, I always end up with a headache. So, I did some looking and figured the 4" OD of the unit wouldn't be too much of a hit in ground clearance and I could stick one on each side of the duals. Good idea? Would they significantly quiet em down? Right now I just have two Dynomax Ultraflos right before they go out the rear.

Also, I'm not 100% sure but would it make a difference where I put them (before or after the X)? Would they create turbulence or slow effective airflow and screw with the scavenging effect of the X-pipe if put before the X? Just wanted to check. I'm good with physics but my understanding of fluid and hydrodynamics is pretty much null lol.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:04 AM
TECH Regular

Do the duals dump before the axel or do the go over and out in the stock location?
Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

putting a bullet or powerstick in should help. I would do it after the X.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No wonder you have a head achee. 3" off the headers to the x-pipe then 2.5 after that. Had that on my procharger car and everyone said they could'nt hear it at WOT going down the drag strip,just a whistle. That was probably the supercharger they were hearing. No tailpipe=obnoxious.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
4" on that car? C'mon dude, 4" is for 7 sec. cars. No wonder you have a head achee. 3" off the headers to the x-pipe then 2.5 after that. Had that on my procharger car and everyone said they could'nt hear it at WOT going down the drag strip,just a whistle. That was probably the supercharger they were hearing. No tailpipe=obnoxious.
Re-read his post...the 4" diameter he's talking about is the muffler O.D., not the pipe size.

Those mufflers look like the same thing as the Magnaflows on my car, only in stainless. Honestly, I think you need to look at a bigger muffler. Space is tight back there, but bullet mufflers just aren't going to give you what you are looking for IMO.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Re-read his post...the 4" diameter he's talking about is the muffler O.D., not the pipe size.

Those mufflers look like the same thing as the Magnaflows on my car, only in stainless. Honestly, I think you need to look at a bigger muffler. Space is tight back there, but bullet mufflers just aren't going to give you what you are looking for IMO.
I don't think anyone read my post or my sig lol. Using UltraFlos so obviously it's out the back (3" all the way through)... the OD of those mufflers is 6" - they're right before the tips. I'm just looking for something to tame the dam drone pretty much lol.

http://summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17223/?image=large <--- UltraFlo

Dam, after reading the "just for racing" description lol what do u guys think would be a good Magnaflow muffler that'll fit in the back and quiet it down without restricting the exhaust after I go H/C/N2O?

Thinking this is about the biggest one I can fit back there:

http://summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12249/

Last edited by LustrousWS6; 06-17-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 AM
11 Second Club

Im running two sets of bullets in my exhaust and lovvvve it. I have sweet thunders in my TSP TDs under the axle to Moroso Spiral flows at the tips out the middle like a custom CME and i get nearly 0 drone and hardly any resonance. I dont have to turn my music up extra and can have a phone conversation no problem going down the highway at 75
Old 06-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
Im running two sets of bullets in my exhaust and lovvvve it. I have sweet thunders in my TSP TDs under the axle to Moroso Spiral flows at the tips out the middle like a custom CME and i get nearly 0 drone and hardly any resonance. I dont have to turn my music up extra and can have a phone conversation no problem going down the highway at 75
Funny u said 75 lol from there up it's fine, just from 65 to 75ish it's enough to give u a headache... and I never go that fast (too afraid of cops) unless I'm going to Vegas (never use the T/A for Vegas trips unless the GTP's down). So since you're using two sets of mufflers that are easily louder than magnaflows, if I use both mufflers in series I should have one quiet *** car... cool

Dam.. I just saw ur running a freakin monster cam too lol. Who built your bottom end?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=MeentSS02;11768354]Re-read his post...the 4" diameter he's talking about is the muffler O.D., not the pipe size.

Sorry Guys, I did re-read and said damn!Couldn't edit fast enough, you Guys are quick on the trigger!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

You could get Dynomax cones to put in the tailpipe after the mufflers. They take out the drone and rasp and do not effect rwhp since the cone has holes in it and the surface area of all of the holes is greater than the pipe diameter thanks to the cone shape. You can purchase these through Summit racing.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
Funny u said 75 lol from there up it's fine, just from 65 to 75ish it's enough to give u a headache... and I never go that fast (too afraid of cops) unless I'm going to Vegas (never use the T/A for Vegas trips unless the GTP's down). So since you're using two sets of mufflers that are easily louder than magnaflows, if I use both mufflers in series I should have one quiet *** car... cool

Dam.. I just saw ur running a freakin monster cam too lol. Who built your bottom end?

i had the motor sent up north to a guy that builds LSX motors for a corvette shop and the Mosler kit cars.

I just saw your in anaheim, if you want i could bring the car by your pad or an in n out or something and give you a ride and you could hear it.

The reason i say 75 and not 65 is im on 27.5" tires and 65 is the akward speed between 5th and 6th lol
Old 06-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
i had the motor sent up north to a guy that builds LSX motors for a corvette shop and the Mosler kit cars.

I just saw your in anaheim, if you want i could bring the car by your pad or an in n out or something and give you a ride and you could hear it.

The reason i say 75 and not 65 is im on 27.5" tires and 65 is the akward speed between 5th and 6th lol
Ya don't have to make a special trip or anything - if we end up at the same car show, then sure heh. You a regular at the in n out meets? There should be a few Fbodies meeting up at the Main St. Car Show in Garden Grove this Friday.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
Ya don't have to make a special trip or anything - if we end up at the same car show, then sure heh. You a regular at the in n out meets? There should be a few Fbodies meeting up at the Main St. Car Show in Garden Grove this Friday.
i will be there this friday at GG yes lol

and im in orange of chapman and am in anaheim every night so it wouldnt have been too much anyway