Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Starting problem.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Starting problem.

Hey I was seeing if anyone on here could help me out with a problem I'm having. I have a 1999 Trans Am and I think I might either be having security problems or a bad fuel pump.

Well the problem is when I try to start it, it will just keep spinning over the motor and wont start then I'll wait a minute or two and try again then it starts right up fine. And just recently when I go to turn it over sometimes it wont do anything at all I'll try a few times then it starts right up.

I tested the full pump and it seems to be working fine, I also took my key down to a Pontiac dealer and they tested it and it was fine also. Maybe it could be the sensor that reads the key in the ignition? I'm not sure. Also the Security light isn't flashing.

Like I said sometimes it will crank right up with no problem or it will just spin over and over again like it's not getting fuel.

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Check your starter and ignition relays in the fuse box... when the problem happens, tap them and then try to start... they are like 15.00 at parts store...
Old 06-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I checked the fuses but I wasn't quite positive how to check the relays. Thanks alot, I'll try it out.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

you say it turns over like its not getting fuel? Have you tried spraying starting fluid and then trying to start it? I bet its It might be ignition related... If it doesnt start with the starter fluid then its ignition.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I believe there is 3 of the same relays, ignition, starter, a/c... you could swap a/c for ignition, if motor turns over but wont start... if it wont turn over, then swap a/c for starter... but Id try tapping them first...

or if you have a buddy with a LS1, try his...
Old 06-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Default Engine turns over but will not strat

Hi .. while the key is in the start position check you fuel pressure, you should have about 53 psi. If the pump will not run you may have low level in the tank, blown pump fuse or the pump is out. Note when you first turn the key your pump comes on then shut off when system is up too pressure then it shut off. and when you crank it over check for a spark at the plugs.

good luck
victorarod
Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Did this problem get fixed.... I have the same exact problem
Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Hello, I dont mean to hi jack the thread , but I am having the same problem. I did spray starting fluid and it will start but then shut of if i stop spraying fluid. I dont hear the pump come on,what else can it be? Did you fix your problem? If so how? thanks for any help.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If spraying starter fluid starts the car, but it won't run if you stop spraying, you're not getting fuel. Injectors not pulsing (rare), fuel pump not working (most likely the problem). The PCM sends a signal to the fuel pump relay to switch fused 12v to the pump. If the fuse is blown or the relay isn't working, there is your problem. Swap the fuel pump and A/C relay in the box to see if it changes. When you first turn on the key, you should hear the pump run for a second to build pressure and then it will stop. Bump the starter and it should pulse the pump again for a second, so you don't have to keep running the starter to troubleshoot this. If you have a volt meter or test light, test the voltage. I would start at the back so see if the voltage is going into the tank harness. You have a sending unit wire, pump hot and ground at the least. I don't have wire colors, but if you PM me, I can look them up when I get home and get back with you.

Search this Thread