Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker or Pacesetter Long Tube Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker or Pacesetter Long Tube Headers?

Alright so after a nights worth of discussing and arguing about LT headers for my A4 '02 z28 with my family. I would rather have thousands of peoples opinions rather than just 4. I would get kooks but if I had a grand to spend on just the headers I would already have a 500 hp DD. So here it is, I have an SLP Loudmouth Exhaust 2, SHOULD I GET HOOKERS OR PACESETTERS? COATED OR STAINLESS? Do they both gain about the same amount of hp?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

It all depends on what kind of parts you want on your car. Do you just want performance parts, or do you want quality performance parts? I know that I wouldnt just throw anything on my car just for the sake of having it.

i'd have to say go with a stainless steel header. Hooker headers have a good rep and I dont think that you can go wrong. I read a couple of threads on here with really bad looking pacesetters and a couple were also leaking somewhere at the collectors. My friends 00 had leaky Pacesetters too.

You get what you pay for.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mlbz28
Alright so after a nights worth of discussing and arguing about LT headers for my A4 '02 z28 with my family. I would rather have thousands of peoples opinions rather than just 4. I would get kooks but if I had a grand to spend on just the headers I would already have a 500 hp DD. So here it is, I have an SLP Loudmouth Exhaust 2, SHOULD I GET HOOKERS OR PACESETTERS? COATED OR STAINLESS? Do they both gain about the same amount of hp?
Either one. Stainless if you can. Both are nice setups, but you wont get much difference between the two. Think Texas Speed has some nice deals on Pacesetters
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the best you can afford.

This same rule applys to almost everything.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Launching!

both good setups, whatever you choose stainless should be the route. i have pacesetters and havent had a problem yet and my buddy has hookers and same thing. plus the power is pretty even between both
Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

pacesetters come stainless?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker
pacesetters come stainless?

No, they do not.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had both the hooker longtubes and pacesetters. quality wise they seem to be the same to me. i definitely felt a big seat of the pants gain with both. but out of the 2 i think the pacesetters just tuck up a bit more better. but youll be happy with either one.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

give me the money you were gonna spend on headers so i can put it towards my heads!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Teching In

chuck you farley! ur selfish!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't lie here, I have pacesetters now and I'm looking for a replacement. I don't mind the rusty look but they leak a lot and that bothers me. I can deal with any bad noise on a car besides exhaust leaks. They made good power but I wish I had just paid an extra few bucks for a better quality set to begin with now.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Save up for stainless. My hookers are coated and are rusting; not even a year old.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure about Pacesetter LT's, but the Hooker Headers have the O2 Bungs welded to the collector towards the outside of the car which can cause clearance issues when you install the O2 Sensors. Jet Hot LT's were designed after the Hooker model but have the Bungs on the collector facing the inside of the car. None of these are Stainless, but the Jet Hots are coated and are priced just a little more than the Hookers. I've installed three sets of the Jet Hots on three different cars (one of which on my car) with minimal issues. If I should ever have to replace my set, I'll upgrade to American Racing Headers for the fact that they are Stainless and have a very nice merge on their Y-pipe. But for now I'm happy with the Jet Hots. Just another option to consider.

Decisions...decisions...isn't life grand...?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I'm not sure about Pacesetter LT's, but the Hooker Headers have the O2 Bungs welded to the collector towards the outside of the car which can cause clearance issues when you install the O2 Sensors. Jet Hot LT's were designed after the Hooker model but have the Bungs on the collector facing the inside of the car. None of these are Stainless, but the Jet Hots are coated and are priced just a little more than the Hookers. I've installed three sets of the Jet Hots on three different cars (one of which on my car) with minimal issues. If I should ever have to replace my set, I'll upgrade to American Racing Headers for the fact that they are Stainless and have a very nice merge on their Y-pipe. But for now I'm happy with the Jet Hots. Just another option to consider.

Decisions...decisions...isn't life grand...?
O2 sensor clearances are fine.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _JB_
O2 sensor clearances are fine.
Right on. I guess I don't have any experience with the Hooker LT's, so I may have spoken a little hastily about them. I still don't see how having them on the outside is a good thing. Even without clearance problems, you still have to route your sensor wiring around the hot exhaust when installed on the outside. I guess with long enough extensions you could make due, but that sounds kinda cobbled to me.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

i had coated pacesetters. they never gave me a prob and were a definate boost in the seat.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Right on. I guess I don't have any experience with the Hooker LT's, so I may have spoken a little hastily about them. I still don't see how having them on the outside is a good thing. Even without clearance problems, you still have to route your sensor wiring around the hot exhaust when installed on the outside. I guess with long enough extensions you could make due, but that sounds kinda cobbled to me.
Driver side in on the inside of the car. Passenger is on the outside. The only "problem" is the passenger side you can't run the wire as clean as the driver side.

Quick Reply: Hooker or Pacesetter Long Tube Headers?