Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Car starts w/o depressing clutch pedal...

Old 06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car starts w/o depressing clutch pedal...

...and therefore is not legal to race at my local track (otherwise I don't care). I did a T56 swap almost a year ago and actually never noticed until I tried to start it this way this week.

What should I be looking for? What did I miss when I installed this?

Pointers appreciated.

Last edited by 94Z28rag; 06-17-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how you'd go about it but it seems like your clutch safety switch and likely the other one used for cruise control are not hooked up. Check the pigtails coming from these. They are attached to the clutch pedal mechanism.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

I doubt it has to do with the cruise control. Mine does exactly the same thing & it's just a clutch saftey switch. I actually like mine better this way. Makes it alot easier to just reach in & start it. Plus it's the only way to use a remote start.

How did the track even find out? Mine has never asked & if they want to see just push the pedal in. Once the car is already started it's no saftey issue. It's mainly to help prevent people from just jumpin in & starting it while parked in gear.

But hell, I never put mine in gear when parking either, LOL.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I doubt it has to do with the cruise control. Mine does exactly the same thing & it's just a clutch saftey switch. I actually like mine better this way. Makes it alot easier to just reach in & start it. Plus it's the only way to use a remote start.

How did the track even find out? Mine has never asked & if they want to see just push the pedal in. Once the car is already started it's no saftey issue. It's mainly to help prevent people from just jumpin in & starting it while parked in gear.

But hell, I never put mine in gear when parking either, LOL.
Cruise control works fine and shuts off with the clutch. I'm not sure with switch is the safety switch...I'll have to find a diagram somewhere.

I agree that it's nice not to push the clutch to start as I never leave it in gear anyways. The problem is at New England Dragway one of the tests they do in tech is: neutral, foot off clutch, try and start the car. If it starts, the car fails. Stupid, IMO. No other track has ever checked that.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
Cruise control works fine and shuts off with the clutch. I'm not sure with switch is the safety switch...I'll have to find a diagram somewhere.

I agree that it's nice not to push the clutch to start as I never leave it in gear anyways. The problem is at New England Dragway one of the tests they do in tech is: neutral, foot off clutch, try and start the car. If it starts, the car fails. Stupid, IMO. No other track has ever checked that.

I'm tellin you man, if it starts without pushin in the clutch it's the clutch saftey switch. It's a common switch that wears out in the 6-speed cars. It wont throw a code, it just stops working & does what you described.

LOL, the only thing our track has ever checked on my car is to make sure the battery was stable, no fluid leaks, working seatbelts & that I was wearing pants.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I'm tellin you man, if it starts without pushin in the clutch it's the clutch saftey switch. It's a common switch that wears out in the 6-speed cars. It wont throw a code, it just stops working & does what you described.

LOL, the only thing our track has ever checked on my car is to make sure the battery was stable, no fluid leaks, working seatbelts & that I was wearing pants.
I'll check out the safety switch. Thanks for the tip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car starts w/o depressing clutch pedal...