General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Over heating!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heating!!!

I've had my LS1 now for 6 months never had a problem with it and in the last 2 weeks my battery died, my alt went out and now I have an over heating problem. When I drive the car its fine sittin right at 210 then I let the car sit for maybe 5 min and the temp gauge jumps from 210 to 230 then to 250. I'm pretty sure that I have an air pocket cause my rad cap was bad lettin in air to the system. I've burped the system twice now and it's still happenin. Anything i can do different that might work???
Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Default Overheating

The electric fan should come on at about 210, is it working . Is the belt tensioner still spring loaded. no tension will cause the belt to slip which will affect alternator as well as water pump output.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Teching In

My fans never come on but I know the motors work and that the relays are ok. I jumped both fans and checked each fan relay they are all still in good condition. What else would make them not come on?? As for the alt I put a new one in already so that problems solved haha and the water pump is def workin. When I changed the cap I let the car run a little to maybe get a little air out that could of gotten in from the bad cap and it was flowin just fine.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by noflyby99
My fans never come on but I know the motors work and that the relays are ok. I jumped both fans and checked each fan relay they are all still in good condition. What else would make them not come on?? As for the alt I put a new one in already so that problems solved haha and the water pump is def workin. When I changed the cap I let the car run a little to maybe get a little air out that could of gotten in from the bad cap and it was flowin just fine.
If the fans never come on, how do you know they work?

And if they never come on, you found your problem. Makes sense that you get hot when you sit still, thats when the fans do their work. Fans don't come on while the car is moving. (((unless its just stop and go moving)))

Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Teching In

At sitting, you jump from 210 to 230? I had this problem recently actually. Check your coolant. My coolant dipstick looked like it had mud on it, which meant it was time to get a coolant flush. I had that done and all the overheating stopped. If your fans come on after you put it in park then I'm willing to bet this is where your problem lies.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
If the fans never come on, how do you know they work?

And if they never come on, you found your problem. Makes sense that you get hot when you sit still, thats when the fans do their work. Fans don't come on while the car is moving. (((unless its just stop and go moving)))

I know the fan motors are workin cause I jumped them off the battery. They both ran with power goin to them so the fans are ok. As far as them not goin on when the car is just sittin I'm not sure. I've heard that the sending unit could be bad but I have no way of testing it. That's just something I'm gonna have to replace as see.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NEORedLS1
At sitting, you jump from 210 to 230? I had this problem recently actually. Check your coolant. My coolant dipstick looked like it had mud on it, which meant it was time to get a coolant flush. I had that done and all the overheating stopped. If your fans come on after you put it in park then I'm willing to bet this is where your problem lies.
Yea that's why I think there is still an air pocket in the block cause there's no way the coolant jumps 20 degrees in a sec. That's why I also think the sendin unit is fine cause really the car isn't that hot. Sure the temp is readin 230 due to an air pocket but the rest of the engine is still chillin at 210. If all else fails I'm gonna bring it in for a coolant flush but I figured if I could do it my self why spend money.

Search this Thread