Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do more prefer wet over dry??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do more prefer wet over dry??

I'm wondering why more people seem to prefer the wet shot over the dry shot?
I'm just a newbie, but I can kind of see how both work, I just wonder why the majority prefer wet?

IMHO wet seems the older style, and dry the newer safer option, please tell me how and why I'm wrong ............
Old 06-18-2009, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Counting down until Robert56 replies.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

I think wet is safer. Dry shot you are fooling the cars computer into adding fuel. Wet shot you are metering the fuel yourself.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

direct port for the win! haha, im not too sure why people choose wet over dry, as i am in no way a nitrous expert. ive always heard it was safer, but id like to see a technical comparison as to why one is better than the other.

edit: just noticed, post #700! woohoo!

Last edited by WSsick; 06-18-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a wet kit cause in the end its cheaper. Don't have to but injectors.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MetalAuthority
I think wet is safer.
I have seen a ton more wet kits have backfires taking out intakes/TB's than dry kits. And HSW has dry kit controllers instead of the old fashion way of moving your nozzle around to get the A/F right with the MAF.

A properly set-up dry system is far safer IMO, but with this said any improperly set-up kit (wet or dry) is gonna be a problem.

I say dry just for the fact there is zero change of puddling in the intake. Zero chance of a fuel noid sticking shut & less plumbing.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Ok Robert56, the stage is all set for a wet vs dry debate. LOL! Just kidding Robert. In case you don't know, Robert56 is our local dry guru.

I'm not going to get into a debate. I think both are good under certain situations. I've had mostly wet kits and have come around in my thinking a little the last few years. I would say wet is easier for newbies and was the only thing out for a long time so more people are fmiliar with it.

Last edited by Xtremespeed; 06-18-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Wet kit is much easyer to tune on then the dry kit if you dont have tunning softwear or an exspensive interface dry is harder to tune swaping a fuel jet out isnt very hard i think thats why a lot of people prefure wet over dry.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

This.

Last edited by DC Motorsports; 06-22-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's mostly lack of knowledge. Many still state facts that no longer apply, or at least only apply in a certain context. Things have changed in the last year or so, and most are not yet aware of the new technology. That's is the difference, wet has been around for 40 years in one form or another. When the LSx platform began, no one understood the new PCM technology as it was abosolutly revolutionary. So what the nitrous comnpanies started doing right away was to take a single wet direct port nozzle and stick it into the neck of the CAI system. Well now we understand how the PCM operates we can now take this high tech advancement and untilize it to control our nitrous systems. That's why I am so gung hoe on the dry stuff, it's high tech. All of the disadvantages of running dry hits in the past have been addressed. We can now completly control: all fueling, all timing pull, progressing, 80lb injectors, direct port dry, and so on with a Stock PCM. In the past, the only way was an after market computer. Even individual cylinder tuning is coming, eventhough the dry has closer EGTs and a/f ratio per cylinder compared to the average wet hit, right out of the box, it will be a great tool for large hits.

Then you have the misconception that wet kits are safer, not true at all. I am amazed at how many still come into threads with the argument that wet hits are safer, they are not. It's actually the other way around. But again this comes back to ignorance and lack of knowledge.

Another area that seems to keep dry tech at bay is the n2o dealers that do not understand nor support or sell dry technology. They will use old wives tales to disaude a potential end user. Why? Well I keep telling them that this is not 1985 any longer and technology is your freind, but to no avail. Many tuner shops have the same problem, becasuse they know not what they are doing with dry tech, they will steer the end user towards a wet kit where they know how to change out mechanical jets, lol. They need all need to come up to date on the information so they can help the dry users as well as the wet users.

There are more and more coming to dry tech as they start understanding that it really is not that complicated. Actually with the piggy back controllers on the market and tuner programs available anyone whom would like can now tune a nice safe repeatable dry shot. The dry a/f ratio can be dialed in exactly with out touching a jet or adjusting fuel pressures, so which is now easier to tune? I would say the dry is by far.

I really have nothing against the wet kits, but do feel that it is dated technology, especially the wet nozzle kits. If you must go wet, i would rec a DP system and at the minimum a plate kit. The wet and dry nozzle kits have run their course concerning the LSx platform, imo. But so has bottle heaters, lol, and that's for another thread.

Robert
Old 06-18-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MetalAuthority
I think wet is safer. Dry shot you are fooling the cars computer into adding fuel. Wet shot you are metering the fuel yourself.
This fooling the computer comment is really nonsense. You use your injectors to fuel your car everyday. The new technology, the dry uses the same mathematics and look up tables as when n/a. All we are doing is accessing a different location in the look up tables in the computer. Are the turbo guys fooling the computer, no they aren't. Listening to certain INTERNET experts will allow comments like yours to continue to flourish even though they are bogus. Not busting your ***** at all, as that statement has been passed on for years. Wet is not safer on the LSx platform, period. Actually, the facts support exactly the opposite. Maybe we can get into the specifics of why dry is safer later in the thread?

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
Ok Robert56, the stage is all set for a wet vs dry debate. LOL! Just kidding Robert. In case you don't know, Robert56 is our local dry guru.

I'm not going to get into a debate. I think both are good under certain situations. I've had mostly wet kits and have come around in my thinking a little the last few years. I would say wet is easier for newbies and was the only thing out for a long time so more people are fmiliar with it.
I know you were kidding. I love the debates. i don't think that wet is easier any longer if your dry kit includes the Interface. You don't need any tuner program at all, but is a nice addition when the end user can afford.
Originally Posted by 98redorangeta
Wet kit is much easyer to tune on then the dry kit if you dont have tunning softwear or an exspensive interface dry is harder to tune swaping a fuel jet out isnt very hard i think thats why a lot of people prefure wet over dry.
yes and no. the price of the dry plate kit and Interface is about the same as the wet plate kits offered, and again, you can do the complete dry tuning with out an aftermarket tuner program. we can update to a full tuner program and a wide band as the money allows should we want to, wet or dry. Also, the dry kit has become much simpler and easier to tune. how many times have we seen threads where the wet kits a/f ratio was not what was wanted? well many times and what they then do is take one of the jets from the size higher or lower and try to get an acceptable a/f ratio. The dry with the Interface allows 5hp increments richer or leaner right from the get go so we can dial in exactly what we want. the wet kits we can not. also, if we want timing pull, the wet kit has no way of doing so, the dry plate/Interface can from the get go. it also has advanced features that do require something like Hp Tuner should we want. So to me, swapping out jets that don't come in the kit seem more difficult than flipping a couple dip switches. then think about when you want to change the hit size. the dry is ready for any size hit to fine tune the a/f ratio, again the wet will not be. what I used to do for the wet hits was use a numbered drill bit set and have some small jets on hand; that way i could make the jet sized to what I needed to get a safe a/f ratio while tuning so as not have to order and wait. So which is really easier? Don't forget ordering a timing puller controller for the wet kit.

Originally Posted by DC Motorsports
Wet is safer when done right IMO. Dry kits are ifffy when tuning being you have to more or less trick the PCM, and a controller is at least about $150 so that knocks the "BIG" price difference between the two right out the window.

There are people who swear by dry kits. There are also people that have burned engines down on dry kits as well. Both kits have their advantages and disadvantages. As with both kits you need to be careful and pay close attention to what your doin. An overlook on either will hurt the ol pocket book. Its just like anything else performance related.
OK, here's your opportunity to back up your statement that wet is safer. I am all ears. Again, listening to the INTERNET wizards by using the "tricking" statement to somehow negate the benefits of running a dry system. Your next nitrous install don't you dare use a window switch to trick the car, and for that matter don't use a timing pull controller as that will trick your car. It's really a lame argument and no one uses it when someone is running aftermarket controllers or tuner programs with the wet hits, or the turbos or even n/a for that matter. Are you guys starting to see my point. Some of the arguments against dry technology just don't have any real basis or substance. Again, not busting your ***** in a personal manor, just pointing out the obvious. My contention is and always has been, a properly set-up system wet and dry, the dry will in fact have a safety margin that wet does not have. If both kits are done with all the goodies, and that includes redundant noid for the dry, you tell me what can go wrong with either. for those reading along, think about it also. You will in fact come up with scenarios that will only affect the wet and more of them. try to find an issue with the dry that will spell dome and do the same for wet.

Have you guys heard the don't go dry, you will need injectors? have you ever heard someone use the same argument when putting on bolt ons, or adding turbos or going big cubed n/a? No, me neither. Someone please tell me why it keeps coming up, lol. and there are many more like it that keep coming up against the dry tech, lol.

Robert
Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Robert, sometimes I think you're talking to a wall..

I love that argument about injectors. If you want to be safe and make a lot of power..gotta upgrade with a wet kit too

My slightly used $100 FRPP red tops are doing just fine!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thread

Last edited by DC Motorsports; 06-22-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

robert.. we need to talk.... pm me.. you sound like a man that knows quite a bit.. and seeing that you are running a 408 iron block.. you are right up my alley.. and lets talk no2, i just got done with my motor and drivetrain. motor is all forged with a nitrous cam. i'm ready to add the "****"....lol i'm making 500 whp on motor.. i would like to add a good shot.. maybe a 200 what is all this interface? and other goodies. that i should get with the dry kit you keep talking about!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:41 AM
11 Second Club

I tried to tell you guys. LOL! Robert, you bring up a lot of very good points.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 AM

Wow you guys sound like a "my internet dick is bigger than your internet dick", My input would be just run both kits like i have on my camaro. Get the both of best worlds. ive been building cars for years and only use wet kits on customer cars mainly cause i get more money out of them but hey do what ya gotta do right?......
Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

Dry ... FTW

They both work its just 2 different ways to get to the same result.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

We have made cars go fast on both. I always liked wet kits more for tunability if you don't have the software to do it your self. Now that its easy to tune both have there advantages. Neither is any safer than the other.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Okay, thanks for the replys.
I guess the answer is wet has been around for longer.
The 'safest' setup battle will continue for some time I guess.

I prefer the sound of a dry shot, but noticed more people prefered wet, and was curious as to why.

All your fault Robert lol.....
Thanks for the help,

Paul.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:55 PM
8 Second Club

Different means to the same end.

Quick Reply: why do more prefer wet over dry??