Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the stock LS1 fuel rail coated with? Powdercoat? Gun Blueing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What is the stock LS1 fuel rail coated with? Powdercoat? Gun Blueing?

I am trying to chemically strip the black off a stock LS1 fuel rail. I thought it was painted, so I tried some laquer thinner on it and it did not remove the paint.

What is the fuel rail coated with? Is it gun blueing? Powdercoat?

What can I use to take it off, besides steel wool or a wire wheel?

-Dave
Old 06-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I obviously don't have one in front of me, but if memory serves, it is an aluminum rail, which would mean that it is probably anodized.

I had a buddy take a sandblaster to some random anodized parts. It eventually wore off, but took a long time.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think they're aluminum - I think it's a mixture of steel and stainless steel. The brackets are all magnetic, but none of the tube is magnetic - a property of aluminum and most grades of stainless steel. I don't think you can weld aluminum to steel?

Besides, I cut that tube with a hacksaw and a tubing cutter, and it is not aluminum. It's WAY too hard.

I think the tubing that I need to strip the coating off of is stainless steel.

Originally Posted by johnpate01
I obviously don't have one in front of me, but if memory serves, it is an aluminum rail, which would mean that it is probably anodized.

I had a buddy take a sandblaster to some random anodized parts. It eventually wore off, but took a long time.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know???? My searches only came up with this thread! I want it re-coated... not paint, not powder coated... whatever the hell GM used. I'll settle for powder coating if I have to.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Launching!

I just used Scotchbright to clean the crossover tube on mine. I have fuel rail covers going on or else I would have done the entire rail.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

It is come sorta steel, I know cause i tig'd my isolator hole closed. I can tell you when it burns off its a white flakey material.

Quick Reply: What is the stock LS1 fuel rail coated with? Powdercoat? Gun Blueing?