Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need some help on how to remove the door molding on my Olds

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help on how to remove the door molding on my Olds

Just wondering if someone might be able to help me out....I got an '88 Olds 88 and I need to get the door molding off to do some painting due to some surface rust and I really need to get behind the moldings. It's got the big, thick molding down the sides of each door if that helps with what I'm talking about. Anyone know if you have to remove the inner door panel to get to a bolt(s) on them or do they slide off somehow?? It's got me puzzled
Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got a 1990 oldsmobile delta 88 royale brougham. Great car. Got it for 1500 and its got 232k on it and going strong. Ive taken the molding off the olds to repaint it(repaint the molding). Open up the doors and take out all the screws(there should be 1 or 2 per molding). Now grab the molding-push in-down-and out, this should dis-engage the bottom of the clip then lift up to dis-engage the top part of the clip. Once you see the clip youll see how they work and the rest should be a piece of cake. Your almost guarunteed to break one of the clips so you might have to make a trip to the junkyard to get some new ones. If your still having trouble ill make a video for you on how to take them off.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks! I'll give it a try and if it doesnt work i may shoot ya a pm. Might be a while b4 i get to it now with all the rain and stuff. I tried taking one of the screws off inside the door and it basically fell apart from the rust inside. Mine is an 88 with 152,xxx on it. Been an awesome car....body and paint are in great shape except for those few spots behind the molding and down in the corners of the back doors. Thanks again man!!