Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

LS7 Valvetrain/Cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 Valvetrain/Cam

Sorry for making another thread but I wanted everyones mind around this subject!!!

I am SUPER scared of my LS7 Failing on me.....
Which Valvetrain set up should I buy? Show me the money....

I am going to get LG Super Pro's + some sort of cam

But I want the SICKEST valvestrain....
Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I would just grab Patriot duals. I have seen Katech go on and on about the stock rockers being fine since they have had zero failures unless yours is an 07. Personally, I would still grab aftermarket rockers myself.

Just be sure you have a sorted tune, there have been a few with piston failures that have destroyed the block.

This is advice I will be using shortly myself though I will be doing an entirly new topend.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

U want reliability or do u want 7200rpm w/ hyd. roller? I have found that often they are not the same thing. The thing I see that causes the failure more often than not is the intake rocker bearing retainer. It is hardened steel, and fails spitting the needle bearings into the cankcase.(I believe it's the side-loading because it is off-set) When this happens, the rocker tries to open the valve via the retainer and not the stem, resulting in violation of the space-time continuum by the intake valve. The only shaft rocker I have tried are the crower stainless units I have run for close to 3 years now, but they have a good bit of mass and may cost a couple rpms. The failure rate of the stock rockers is low, but if u get crazy w/ the spring pressure I would worry. I think yella-terra and/or jesel has something by now.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JUNK
U want reliability or do u want 7200rpm w/ hyd. roller? I have found that often they are not the same thing. The thing I see that causes the failure more often than not is the intake rocker bearing retainer. It is hardened steel, and fails spitting the needle bearings into the cankcase.(I believe it's the side-loading because it is off-set) When this happens, the rocker tries to open the valve via the retainer and not the stem, resulting in violation of the space-time continuum by the intake valve. The only shaft rocker I have tried are the crower stainless units I have run for close to 3 years now, but they have a good bit of mass and may cost a couple rpms. The failure rate of the stock rockers is low, but if u get crazy w/ the spring pressure I would worry. I think yella-terra and/or jesel has something by now.
How is that thing with the 4L65E? Thank you for you knowledge....

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
I would just grab Patriot duals. I have seen Katech go on and on about the stock rockers being fine since they have had zero failures unless yours is an 07. Personally, I would still grab aftermarket rockers myself.

Just be sure you have a sorted tune, there have been a few with piston failures that have destroyed the block.

This is advice I will be using shortly myself though I will be doing an entirly new topend.
I have decided to let my friends at Dallas Performance handle it...

I should have the Cam installed in the next week or so

O YA, I have never driven a C6....

I'm scared...NOT
Old 06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any locals out there, Please come join me!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Like I posted in your other thread, also look into a dry sump upgrade. Extra insurance.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2

LOL> I guess I do go on and on. The question gets asked a lot so I try to answer it a lot.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

I thought the LS7 valves and springs were good pieces.
Also people have been racing their Vettes for years and now ZO6's come with a dry sump that hold 10 quarts of oil and it is not good enough?
Arent these engines good enough to race as they are? Maybe add headers and a slightly larger cam. 535 RWHP should suffice for most, any more power and the fun deminishes due to no traction. I had a big HP Vette and it was no fun, this 500 HP car is way more fun.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
Sorry for making another thread but I wanted everyones mind around this subject!!!

But I want the SICKEST valvetrain....
I, too like stock rockers, perhaps with trunnion bearing upgrades. AFAIK, there are no roller-tipped rockers that are stiffer, lighter and with less Mass Moment Of Inertia than stockers.

However, if money isn't a concern, how about these? Thery are steel, have no bearings and the black is NOT black oxide. It's DLC.

They would probably be the single most expensive system on your engine. Under 100 gm with adjuster, so knock off about 15 gm for non-adjustable hydraulic use. Your choice of ratio, of course since they are custom for your installation.

The pic is of a LS7 installation with the center rocker the offset intake.

No, they are not Jesel, nor T&D or any other brand you would recognize. These are big-time overkill for your engine, but you asked.

Jon

Old 06-23-2009, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

If you want good lifters try the GM/Caddy lifter (claims good to 8500) - I have over 30000 miles on a set, no issues so far

Also, COMP has some new LS lifters that are better for high rpm stability, probably along the same lines as the caddy ones..
Old 07-02-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
I, too like stock rockers, perhaps with trunnion bearing upgrades. AFAIK, there are no roller-tipped rockers that are stiffer, lighter and with less Mass Moment Of Inertia than stockers.

However, if money isn't a concern, how about these? Thery are steel, have no bearings and the black is NOT black oxide. It's DLC.

They would probably be the single most expensive system on your engine. Under 100 gm with adjuster, so knock off about 15 gm for non-adjustable hydraulic use. Your choice of ratio, of course since they are custom for your installation.

The pic is of a LS7 installation with the center rocker the offset intake.

No, they are not Jesel, nor T&D or any other brand you would recognize. These are big-time overkill for your engine, but you asked.

Jon

Old 07-09-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you say over kill? How much and what's the companies name...
1. They are a no-compromise design for very high rocker ratios, severe valve motion at 8000+.

2. North of $4.5K for the set.

3. Not a sponsor so can't say.

Jon
Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

But I want the SICKEST valvestrain....
I guess you could just hook her up to a coutle mule & pull the old LS7 around town

Quick Reply: LS7 Valvetrain/Cam