Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Removal LS-1

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Removal LS-1

Please take me through the steps of removing the alternator on my '02 Z-28.
The diodes are going and I need to take the alternator to the repair shop. thanks.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Teching In

I figured it out myself........
Old 06-20-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fbody396
I figured it out myself........

Do tell! I'd like to disassemble mine and glass bead the case...

Russ
Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Do tell! I'd like to disassemble mine and glass bead the case...

Russ
To paint it or powder-coat it?
Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PKC-Z71
To paint it or powder-coat it?
Neither, just plain au natural...

Russ
Old 06-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Default Alternator Removal 5.7L

If you have the use of a lift, that is the way to go. If not, get the front of the car off the ground enough to have room to move around. Be sure to use a good pair of jack stands and I even left my floor jack under there too.

You'll need a 13mm and a 15mm socket on a 1/4 inch drive.

Remove the negative cable from the battery.

Release tension on the belt by moving the tensioner towards the driver's side
and while keeping pressure on the wrench remove the belt from the tensioner.

From under the car remove the plug that is in the top of the alternator. It clips in and you will feel a U type slot back there where you release it. It only has ONE VERY SMALL RED WIRE in the plug and will break easily if you forget to remove it.

Remove the rubber boot off the back of the alternator and take off the 13mm nut. Remove the cable.

The alternator is held in place by 2 long 15mm bolts and one 13mm bolt in the back. The center bolt in the bracket is the ONLY bolt that does not go through the alternator. If you take it out first get ready to duck.

With bolts removed you have to fish the alternator out.

I'll take my alternator to the repair shop in the morning to be rebuilt by the pro's. Hopefully the install will be a no brainer.

While you have it in the air......change the oil and filter and check all your tranny lines. I found the lower transmission line going to the radiator was rubbing on the sway bar. It almost rubbed through it.

Good luck.

Last edited by fbody396; 06-22-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With bolts removed you have to fish the alternator out.
I've had mine removed from the bracket to be able to access the driver's motor mount, but I could never figure out how to completely remove it from the car. How the hell do you get it between the sway bar and cooling fans? This isn't a pressing matter, I'd just like to know for future reference.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Neither, just plain au natural...

Russ
You'd better paint it or powdercoat it, because glass-beading the case will make it VERY easy to leave fingerprints and even corrode. Most rebuilding shops (like mine) use a steel-shot blaster to make steel and aluminum parts look like brand new, with little to no fingerprinting to stick to them.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PKC-Z71
You'd better paint it or powdercoat it, because glass-beading the case will make it VERY easy to leave fingerprints and even corrode. Most rebuilding shops (like mine) use a steel-shot blaster to make steel and aluminum parts look like brand new, with little to no fingerprinting to stick to them.
Steel would be better, but (of course) I don't have that in my cabinet... Would you need to disassemble the case for that? I don't like the idea of glass in the bearings, but the shot is much larger and wouldn't get in there.

Russ
Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Steel would be better, but (of course) I don't have that in my cabinet... Would you need to disassemble the case for that? I don't like the idea of glass in the bearings, but the shot is much larger and wouldn't get in there.

Russ
Either way (glass-beading or steel shot-blasting) you HAVE to take the alternator completely apart- both kinds of media will get into the bearings and the other components inside the alt. and F it up in no time flat.
Is your alt. from a 98-02 LS1 F-body?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I've had mine removed from the bracket to be able to access the driver's motor mount, but I could never figure out how to completely remove it from the car. How the hell do you get it between the sway bar and cooling fans? This isn't a pressing matter, I'd just like to know for future reference.
Once the alternator is out of the bracket and the bracket removed it should come out without any problem. Taking alt. and bracket as one unit is a little tricky. I had to rotate it the unit upside down to finally get it past the fan motor. But the alternator fell out of the bracket and smacked me in the face.
Darn Gravity!!

I just picked up my alternator from the shop. He replaced the diodes with a much better quality one than what was in there. $45.00 and i'm ready to install it. I hope it goes back easier than it came out.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Possible ignorant question here........

What exactly does replacing/fixing the diode accomplish? If it's going bad what happens to your alternator?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverStang00

What exactly does replacing/fixing the diode accomplish? If it's going bad what happens to your alternator?
It stops charging.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SilverStang00

I'm no expert but it is my understanding that diodes convert the AC current to DC current that our cars run on. By not replacing them will only cause your alternator to stop charging your battery.

I'm sure there are others on this forum that can give a better explanation than me.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Once the alternator is out of the bracket and the bracket removed it should come out without any problem. Taking alt. and bracket as one unit is a little tricky. I had to rotate it the unit upside down to finally get it past the fan motor. But the alternator fell out of the bracket and smacked me in the face.
Darn Gravity!!
LOL. Son of a bitch, man. OUCH!

Anyways...so you're saying in order to remove the Alternator, you must also remove the bracket in which its mounted. And then with a little creative contorting, it will come out the bottom, past the driverside cooling fan. Is this what you're saying or have I read this completely bass ackwards?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Unless you drop the sway bar I don't see any other way of removing the alternator easily. Once you get the 3 bolts out that hold the alternator to the bracket you've only got the center bolt left that holds the bracket to the car.

I installed my bracket and alternator last night and it was a pain in the butt. I put...not installed...the bracket up first and then with the other hand worked the alternator up in position. Then I wrangled the bracket around the alternato and installed the backside bolt through the bracket into the alternator to keep it one piece. It is good at this point to try and plug in the plug. Next just line up the bracket with the 3 bolt holes, install the bolts and go get a beer. By this time you've earned it. Like I said earlier......I think the whole key to this deal is dropping the sway bar.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unless you drop the sway bar I don't see any other way of removing the alternator easily. Once you get the 3 bolts out that hold the alternator to the bracket you've only got the center bolt left that holds the bracket to the car.

I installed my bracket and alternator last night and it was a pain in the butt. I put...not installed...the bracket up first and then with the other hand worked the alternator up in position. Then I wrangled the bracket around the alternato and installed the backside bolt through the bracket into the alternator to keep it one piece. It is good at this point to try and plug in the plug. Next just line up the bracket with the 3 bolt holes, install the bolts and go get a beer. By this time you've earned it. Like I said earlier......I think the whole key to this deal is dropping the sway bar.
I see. I'll keep all this in mind the next time I have to remove/reinstall my alternator. You're right. The only other way to get this done would be to drop the sway bar. I guess if comes to that I'm not against it. Whatever.

And, yes. By this time, you have definitely earned a beer. LOL. Thanks fbody396.