General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

So I'm sitting at my desk working ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default So I'm sitting at my desk working ...

and I start hearing my car ('96 Z28) Beep two times, pause, then repeat. Over and over. I look out there and nothing is going on. I go get the keys from the wall hook and turn the alarm off. I go out, open both doors and the hatch. They seem fine. I rearm the alarm and it 'notifies' with two real quick beeps, the goes silent like all the years past. After about 4 seconds, it does the 2 beeps/pause thing over and over again. WTH? Anyone know what this is telling me?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe you need new batteries in the remote. Take the bateries out and see if all that crap still happens.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

The car still reacts to the buttons. Lock, unlock, panic alarm, etc. I went thru the reprogram routine just to check that. No fix there. It still does it. Thanks anyway.
Dave

Originally Posted by LS6427
Maybe you need new batteries in the remote. Take the bateries out and see if all that crap still happens.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the shock sensor is going bad - disconnect it temporarily and see what happens.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

bingo! Good answer chief! Thanks,

I found the answer in shoebox's 1996 Owners manual .pdf.
It says it's the shock sensor, under the right rear plastic cover(that covers the spare tire/nitrous bottle). It states that "There are two levels of alarms via the shock sensor. Two horn blasts and parking light flashes for non-threatening blows to the vehicle and a full two minute alarm for harder blows to the vehicle. It's sensitivity can be adjusted...."

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Maybe the shock sensor is going bad - disconnect it temporarily and see what happens.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure it wasn't casper lol
Old 06-20-2009, 02:28 AM
11 Second Club

I disconnected mine. It was way too sensitive even on the most "un-sensitive" setting. It's annoying when you go to a car meet/the track and every single ricer with a fart can who goes by sets it off. And any cammed f-bodys? forget about it, pulled the plug and haven't missed it since.

I live in a town with very little crime, and a parking structure at ASU, so I don't have to worry about too much. Granted, the alarm still goes off if someone unlocks the door when they aren't supposed to.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
and I start hearing my car ('96 Z28) Beep two times, pause, then repeat. Over and over. I look out there and nothing is going on. I go get the keys from the wall hook and turn the alarm off. I go out, open both doors and the hatch. They seem fine. I rearm the alarm and it 'notifies' with two real quick beeps, the goes silent like all the years past. After about 4 seconds, it does the 2 beeps/pause thing over and over again. WTH? Anyone know what this is telling me?
Thanks,
Dave
Little Timmy is stuck in the well again duh.