Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Aps guys who are running front sway with spacers come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Aps guys who are running front sway with spacers come on in!

Going back to stock height. Had one inch drop. Have been running no front sway. I had hotchkis 35mm front on previously to the aps kit. Didn't want to have problems so left it off. I used it on my other car my 96z and now bought a smaller 32mm spohn figuring it should fit better and as said also going to stock springs.
So will a one inch spacer work. Of course will shorten my endlinks too.
Or do I need to go 1.5 or 2. Don't look like you can go down super far without pushing the air inlet pipe down too far.
So would appreciate knowing what size spacer you used. What size swaybar you have ,if you are dropped and by how much and if you are still hitting the swaybar.
I have said before if do damage the pipe will remove it and cut it and install silicone couplers in there . Also can a person clearance stainless pipes with heat or will they just crack? That would be another option. I do want to run front sway bar. I like my handling not just my 1/4 mile.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a 3/4" aluminum spacer that I had a local machine shop make for me. Also shortened up the endlinks the same length. I am running the stock swaybar on my WS6. For about two months I was lowered with intrax springs (almost full 2" drop) and completely worn out shocks. With this set up I had some slight dents but nothing that would cause cracks. I recently went to some strano springs and koni shocks and this brought the car back up another 1/2". Took it to the local road course and beat the crap out of it in the corners and showed no sign of denting the pipes any worse, so I should be just fine. Too bad I was boiling my coolant every 3rd lap, the car was a blast to drive on the road course.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Hmm so if stay at stock ride height and maybe 1 inch spacer would think that would be enough with my 32mm bar. What is factory ws6 front bar size?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

its a 32mm. Like I said I am dropped around 1.5" with 3/4" spacers and their seems to be no problems. I would also say that the koni shocks are a little more firm so it would play a role as well.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok so if have 32mm spohn and am at stock height the 3/4 should be fine even maybe a half inch one.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Veteran

I have adjustable shocks that can dial up as well.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, based on my results I would think you should be fine with even a 1/2". I have hit some pretty hard bumps in the city during some hard cornering and have yet to show any signs of large dents. What very small indentions are left are from my previous set up and even those were nothing to worry about.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Aps

1/4 spacers are about all you can go before the sway bar hits the inlet pipes !I actually had 1,, spacer blocks in mine over the winter and ran the APS inlet (STAINLESS) pipes over the top of the sway bar which worked out nice ,but put the sway bar way too close to the tie rod ends for my confort LOL I ended up just going back to the stock sway bar with the 1/4 ''spacers and shortened the endlinks some.The sway bar is still kinda close to the tie rod ends but longer tie rod ends with spacers will fix that later Plus, even in doing this modd,,, i had to redo my drivers side discharge pipe because the sway bar was still hitting it. I think i got a bum welded drivers side discharge pipe myself with my APS kit because it was sitting 1'' lower then the passanger side when bolted up
Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sam strano said not to shorten tie rods. so is anyone having problems with shorten tie rods
Old 06-22-2009, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
sam strano said not to shorten tie rods. so is anyone having problems with shorten tie rods
we dont shorten Tie rod ends....we're shortening sway bar end links.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

lol lol ^^^ sorry that is what i meant.

lol

anyone have any problems there?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't think 1/2 inch or so is going to make any huge difference on the sway bar geometry. After all if the choice is no sway bar which I have now and hate and a sway bar that is not 100% I will take the not 100% perfect front sway.
Sam Strano has some interesting opinions about a lot of things. I put huge hotchkis sways on my 96z the other day, car handles at least to me like its on rails. Ride is slightly rougher. There is theory and there is reality and sometimes reality is different to different people.

I will be trying the spacer thing on mine within a week or so. Car is going back to stock height and sway bar is a 32mm spohn now my 35mm hotchkis is on my 96z.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

I still have to install mine. I have the spacers and shorter endlinks to go on the car. Just have too much fun driving it. I usually have to kick myself in the rear to actually work on the car.