General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

seafoam and mopar combustion chamber cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default seafoam and mopar combustion chamber cleaner

doing a little tune up. plan on running the seafoam through the fuel system only and the combustion chamber cleaner through the top end. my question is, where do you spray it in? i don't wanna damage the MAF but don't wanna choke it by spraying it all through a vacuum line. would the brake booster hose be safe?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

thats what I and most people do, but theres this ls6427 guy who's against it. He's the only one though
Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

spray it through the brake booster hose?

and yeah i've been convinced not to do the crank case with sea foam. i just don't wanna hydrolock it with the MCCC.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm the guy that does it properly.

Don't have to mess with that pain in the *** brake booster line and risk cracking the port, they get old and dry-rotted over time. Plus, the brake booster line doesn't get Sea Foam into every cylinder, only the back 3-4 cylinders suck it in. Proof of that is: When you dump the remianing amont in to stall the engine, sometimes it doesn't stall it. Most of the time it sputters and kicks to stay on. WHY....because its just flooding the back 3-4 cylinders and the others are still firing to keep the engine going. If ALL 8 cylinders were getting liquid in them, it would stall instantly the first time, every time. The MOPAR stuff, which is actually a FOAM, designed for top end cleaning, floods every cylinder and expands while its sitting in there. It also expands while sitting in the intake after you spray it in and gets to every square inch of each runner, UNLIKE Sea Foam liquid. It contains alot of air in the foam so there's no chance of hydralocking any one cylinder when you start it after it sits in there. It will compress when you start it.

UPDATED NEW PHOTOS BELOW.

By the way...I put 3 full cans of Sea Foam through my brake booster line within 2 weeks time. Then a week or so later I did the Mopar, it still smoked alot. So 3 full cans of Sea foam didn't do much.
Also, using Mopar, there's no need to waste your money on Sea Foam "spray" to spray into the throttle body "to clean the inside of the intake". That is a 100% waste, the Sea Foam just hits the outside of the first runner and then pools in the intake.

This all takes 10 seconds to set-up:

Pop off the PCV valve.
Put the hose on.
Start the engine, let it idle only.
Spray entire can into other end of hose.
Shut the engine off when the can starts to empty. DON"T wait till it is completely empty, you want the intake to be full of foam when you shut the engine off.
Pop the PCV valve back on and walk away for 30 minutes.
Come back and start it up.

Pictures are in order left to right.

First pic: PCV valve as it normally is. I have an LS6 valley cover. Doesn't matter though, the port on the intake is the same for everyone.
Second pic: Just popped the PCV off the intake port
Third pic: I attached the 3/8" hose. It's a bit tight, maybe a dab of oil on the port will help. DON'T snap the port off.
Forth pic: Spraying the can into the hose.

Attached Thumbnails seafoam and mopar combustion chamber cleaner-dsc01826.jpg   seafoam and mopar combustion chamber cleaner-dsc01827.jpg   seafoam and mopar combustion chamber cleaner-dsc01828.jpg   seafoam and mopar combustion chamber cleaner-dsc01829.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 06-21-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes sense...
Old 06-20-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

okay thanks for all the help, hopefully gonna try it today
Old 06-20-2009, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW: He's not the only one that is against sea foam. He's just the first one to post and typically the loudest.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 91RS383
BTW: He's not the only one that is against sea foam. He's just the first one to post and typically the loudest.
I'm a no beatin-around-the-bush type of guy.

If I find something that works, especially if its something thats been working for years and years, with great results, I'll tell ya.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

I'll give it a shot thanks for the good info
Old 06-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Is that the similar way to do it on an Lt1?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
I'm a no beatin-around-the-bush type of guy.

If I find something that works, especially if its something thats been working for years and years, with great results, I'll tell ya.
What about spraying Sea Foam deep creep through the intake port? Or is that not the same as the Mopar cleaner?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 AM

Use this clear hose.
what is that hose for those wanting to do that on another car? thanks!

Last edited by Saturnl200; 06-21-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by noolah
Is that the similar way to do it on an Lt1?
Just find a port that has vacuum near the throttle body. You want the foam to be sucked in from the front, not the rear of the intake. So it mixes with the actual intake air and gets distributed porperly and more evenly to all the runners and cylinders. Using the brake booster line is a joke and does not work. It only gets to the rear 3-4 cylinders, if that.

I'm not familar with the LT1 intake but I would assume there's a port somewhere right near the throttle body.

Right?

Old 06-21-2009, 03:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MiniTransAm
What about spraying Sea Foam deep creep through the intake port? Or is that not the same as the Mopar cleaner?
If you spray Deep Creap Sea Foam spray through the throttle body into the intake....just send me the money for that spray can....your wasting it...its doing NOTHING AT ALL. But you'll have a nice clean throttle body blade. WD-40 or any other type of cleaner like that will do the same thing.

We all have to clean our MAF's from time to time. When you do, thats what you should use to clean off the throttle blade.

Fact is, there is no way to clean the inside of an intake unless you use Mopar foam....or you take the intake off the engine and actually use a bendable toilet brush with some kind of solvent chemical and scrub it clean in each runner.

Don't ever buy Deep Creap spray....you have no use for that stuff on your car.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Saturnl200
what is that hose for those wanting to do that on another car? thanks!
Any hose will do. I just decided to buy a clear hose when I did my Mopar cleaning. WHY...... because I wanted to hook it up like you see it in the picture with the PCV valve hooked up so I could see how much oil was actually getting sucked up through my valley cover at idle.

I did see some trickle through, but not a whole lot. If you look closely at the hose you can see oil in the hose, but the suction was so strong from the vacuum at idle that it collapsed the hose. You can see it collapsed.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm the guy that does it properly.

Don't have to mess with that pain in the *** brake booster line and risk cracking the port, they get old and dry-rotted over time. Plus, the brake booster line doesn't get Sea Foam into every cylinder, only the back 3-4 cylinders suck it in. Proof of that is: When you dump the remianing amont in to stall the engine, sometimes it doesn't stall it. Most of the time it sputters and kicks to stay on. WHY....because its just flooding the back 3-4 cylinders and the others are still firing to keep the engine going. If ALL 8 cylinders were getting liquid in them, it would stall instantly the first time, every time. The MOPAR stuff, which is actually a FOAM, designed for top end cleaning, floods every cylinder and expands while its sitting in there. It also expands while sitting in the intake after you spray it in and gets to every square inch of each runner, UNLIKE Sea Foam liquid. It contains alot of air in the foam so there's no chance of hydralocking any one cylinder when you start it after it sits in there. It will compress when you start it.

Use this clear hose. Keep it attached to the port on the intake, remove the end from the PCV valve and spray the entire can in there while you're engine is idling. That hose will suck every drop in while you're spraying it in. Then have a friend turn the engine off the second you feel/see the can run out. The foam expands while its sitting in there and cleans every square inch. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then go start it up, let it idle for about 3-5 minutes, then go drive it MELLOW. Don't get on it till at least a good 15 minutes of driving.

By the way...I put 3 full cans of Sea Foam through my brake booster line within 2 weeks time. Then a week or so later I did the Mopar, it still smoked alot. So 3 full cans of Sea foam didn't do much.
Also, using Mopar, there's no need to waste your money on Sea Foam "spray" to spray into the throttle body "to clean the inside of the intake". That is a 100% waste, the Sea Foam just hits the outside of the first runner and then pools in the intake.

I'm slgihtly confused by your description vs. picture here. So once you have the hose connected to the TB, you let is suck up through the hose while it's ONLY connected to the TB?? If the PCV side is disconnected, oil doesn't spray out of this? It looks as though you have both sides connected so where are we pouring exactly?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
I'm slgihtly confused by your description vs. picture here. So once you have the hose connected to the TB, you let is suck up through the hose while it's ONLY connected to the TB?? If the PCV side is disconnected, oil doesn't spray out of this? It looks as though you have both sides connected so where are we pouring exactly?
I should take a new picture, but.....I have one attached to the port on the intake. Thats where the suction is created. The other end of the clear hose I have connected to the PCV port. That PCV valve port is normally attached to that intake port. I just had it like that to see how much oil was being sucked up by the intake at idle.

So you need to simply take the PCV out of the equation here. Just attach the hose to the intake port like you see i nthe picture and spray it into the other end of the hose. So, a hose going into that intake port...thats it. It will get sucked right into that port, into the intake.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Perhaps a new pic would be best
Old 06-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Perhaps a new pic would be best
New pics posted above.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Launching!

If you spray Deep Creap Sea Foam spray through the throttle body into the intake....just send me the money for that spray can....your wasting it...its doing NOTHING AT ALL. But you'll have a nice clean throttle body blade. WD-40 or any other type of cleaner like that will do the same thing.

We all have to clean our MAF's from time to time. When you do, thats what you should use to clean off the throttle blade.

Fact is, there is no way to clean the inside of an intake unless you use Mopar foam....or you take the intake off the engine and actually use a bendable toilet brush with some kind of solvent chemical and scrub it clean in each runner.

Don't ever buy Deep Creap spray....you have no use for that stuff on your car.

No, no I mean using the deep creep as you would the Mopar cleaner. Sending it through that clear tube you have connected to the intake in your picture. Again, not through the throttle body but through the port the PCV attaches to.

Quick Reply: seafoam and mopar combustion chamber cleaner