Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Won Some Cheddah At Import Wars Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Won Some Cheddah At Import Wars Today

Went out today with low expectations of doing well in import wars and ended up going up against some quick cars. I got up there about 8:30 and immediatly tech in they broke out the rules and I had to go through the rules with them rule by rule showing them that my car fit in all the guidelines. After some convincing they let me run the 11.50 class.

As the day went on we had 2 qualifying runs before lunch and then eliminations. By lunch time it was hot and humid enough that I was getting sick to my stomach and started feeling like I was getting heatstroke. Only place I could find some shade was under the bleachers.

Still did alright in the heat though (Im car 501)

First Run
Ran A vw on street tires with harnesses and a cage (the cage threw me through a loop. I was wondering how a FWD car would ever need a cage with street tires)
I dont know what happened to his car but I let off after I saw I was about an 1/8th mile ahead of him. This was my first time launching off a pro tree ever. I knew I saw green so I was way late.

Got a HUGE smokey burnout and launched about 3.5k and the car just absolutly stuck like glue and scared the crap outta me and then bogged like crazy. I thought something was gonna break. I've never been on a track prepped that well.

Second run
Talked to ted (who was parked 10 feet from me and kinda was giving me pointers all day on how to beat up on the imports. He won real street today btw so congratulate him) and he came over to see how my first run went. He told me to watch the first amber and thats what I did. I also staged deep because I knew I'de be slow off the light, and it friggen worked, I saw yellow and went. But this time I was in the dreaded left lane, and I went from all traction to no traction. Spun like crazy all through first.
Still wasnt running all out, shifted about 100-200 rpm early each gear.
Car I ran against was a twin 16g turbo dodge stealth which I knew was fast and had to take him off the line.

Third Run (first eliminations)
Ran a turbo BMW and I knew I had him cause he was parked right next to me and I saw his qualifying runs. I knew he was 13s so I didnt deep stage and slept a little at the light. Shifted ok.. a little slow still and not consistently winding her out to 6200 still short shifting by about 100-200 rpm. If I go ***** to the wall and try to get every little bit out of her I am more likely to miss a shift or something so I wanted to be conservative

Now that I had knocked out the bmw and the dodge stealth had knocked out the vw I ran the first time and the previous winner of import wars (the guy who owns the company that does the payouts for the class) in a turbo rsx knocked out a white supra that always runs street tires and usually does 11s at 135mph . I guess that run the supra was high 12s. Now I am up against the stealth and the RSX gets a by because he did the best in qualifying. he consistently ran 11.70s 11.80s with consistent 1.6x 60's and consistent .15x-.20x RTs so he was the car to beat but I knew that from the git go.

Fourth Run
Ran the Stealth to get into the finals and I did the same thing as I did my second run, I staged deep, launched and bogged and treed him and 60'd him BIG time. So I was already way ahead and I was coasting to the win when at the top of third what does the NOOB do but FAIL at shifting after hes been a winner at the tree all day. Backshifted it into 2nd, pulled it out and then did it AGAIN I thought I blew something up I pulled over to the side of the track and looked in my rear view to see if I was leaking anything as the stealth comes around me and crosses the line.

That was 100$ I had solid in my pocket from the line.. if I hadent let it go. Ahh well thats racing and my RTs are way better than I think anyone was expecting for a guy whos been to the track 5 times in his life in any car and this was his first day running a pro tree.

Still came home with some goodies though

50% off dyno time, 50% off cryogenically treatment service and 50 bucks

Not bad for a noob. Thanks to ted for the good advice and congrats.

Last edited by sciff5; 06-21-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job!

Did they run quick street today?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
Nice job!

Did they run quick street today?
Thank you and yes sir they were
Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Great job !! Especially for your first day racing the pro tree. Little more practice and you will be taking home the win. Cool car you got there -- If you keep the hood closed they would never know you got the ls1 in there.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome Job Josh!~ Soon you'll be in the Real Street 11.50 Index with us taking out Ted, Don, Anthony, Vinny and myself....
Old 06-21-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

so when you die you can be frozen for half price
Old 06-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Launching!

thanks for sharing
Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice man congrats must of been fun!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

congrats! but does that dyno card say AWD only on it?
Old 06-21-2009, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
congrats! but does that dyno card say AWD only on it?
I think thats a 2 from my memory.He said its transferrable. So I'm gonna sell it off to someone. He said normal price is 75$ so if I sell it for 30$ maybe I can make some more money from import wars. I really have no interest in dynoing. I already know what my car puts down.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys I Got a few more pics today

Nothing you guys havent seen before

Second round of qualifiers with the stealth (run 2)
Launching (this was the weak 1.95 60' these things squat like crazy)

Even though it was a weak 60' it was still better than his 60' and I treed him, see yahhh!

This was the last run of the day

Lining up with the stealth (this car was actually a bit faster than my car)

Treed him big time and I already have a car length on him and he hasnt even reacted

I'm working on 2 car lengths by the time he even gets off the line. You can see if I hadent missed the shift I woulda deff taken him

You can see how unweighted the front wheels are even though it was only a 1.95 60' and you'de think I might be able to hang the front tires with a good 1.6 60' but I guess the rx7s have a ton of suspension travel up front.

Heres a 1.38 60' from another car like mine.. and as you can see no air under the front tires.

Last edited by sciff5; 06-21-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats one crazy launch pic there lol congrats agian. btw those VR4's are no slouch's
Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speedy0009
Awesome Job Josh!~ Soon you'll be in the Real Street 11.50 Index with us taking out Ted, Don, Anthony, Vinny and myself....
I dont know about taking any one out but I'de like to run real street as soon as next weekend even if I do terribly. I'm not quite sure my car is fast enough for 11.50 index. The cool night I had my best runs based on my 60's the car is a perfect 11.50 car if not a little quicker but realistically on the humid summer days.. the car is more like an 11.70 car even with a 1.6 60'. I dont think thats gonna get it done when guys like ted were runng 11.5X that same day.

I was gonna make the car faster, but honestly running 11.50 is just as fun, and a lot cheaper than if I were to run 10.50. I might consider throwing a very small shot on it for the hot/humid days, Something like a 30 shot. I've also got my eye on a lingenfelter 2 step. Would help consistency off the line and let me do no lift shifts. I think those 2 things and small tweaks here and there to the setup with A LOT more seat time is really what I need to be competitive.

I also found out tonight that there are 2 more import wars before the end of the season, and I want a trophy next time I race Import wars
Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Josh i dont think they'll let you run in QS. You are import bodied and the rules wouldnt let you run. They wouldn't let Boostntbss run his Starquest because it is an import even though it has a turbocharged ls under the hood and its actually a dodge vehicle. Just giving you a heads up, i'd call or email them and see first.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

They give me **** racing import wars, watch this next time the rules will change to say no american engines, and they wont let me compete in the american classes even though I'm at a distinct disadvantage.

I just wanna race. Time to get a mustang and put a 2jz in it with a th400 or something

Last edited by sciff5; 06-23-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sciff5
They give me **** racing import wars, watch this next time the rules will change to say no american engines,
Their flyer states no V8's & think that's why they give you crap, even though the car is an import.

Also, how are you at a disadvantage?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Tell the importers that your car is a special edition canadian mazda,then enter the car and make believe you dont understand english.
Your combination is unique and should be reconized by the rest of the racers and tech.
They are just pissed that you made the combo work and for half the cost of their honduhs.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ButchN
Their flyer states no V8's & think that's why they give you crap, even though the car is an import.

Also, how are you at a disadvantage?
Flyer did NOT say no v8s. It said no American v8 full bodied cars. It only specified a cylinder limit for american cars saying only fwd 4 and 6 cyl cars could compete and that ALL imports were allowed, giving no restriction on ho many cylinders for imports.

I am at a disadvantage because the car is an IRS, and manually shifted, but mainly because its a 6sp.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Josh, my car is irs and a 6sp i wouldn't call it a disadvantage, the car weighing 3990lbs......thats a disadvantage hahaha.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

That last picture is crazy I figured it would have pulled the wheels