General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car overheats occassionally?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default car overheats occassionally?

i had the water pump and tstat replaced already, the first replacement pump was leaking so I had a new one put in.
it was very hot down here, 94 or so, and I was driving around town, stop and go, stop and go, well the temp started going up as I got on the highway i heard a ticking noise, which went away once the temp came down to halfway, once a parked and shut off the car the fan stayed on.
I don't see a leak anywhere and the fluid is full.
any ideas?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You probably have air in the system. You need to take your radiator cap off when the engine is cold, top off the water/coolant, start the engine and stand there and wait till the coolant starts to flow. But while you're waiting you need to squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses to move the air bubbles through the system. I would wait a good 5 minutes before starting to massage them so it starts to warm up. Then keep watching your temp guage to make sure you're not sitting there overheating, and keep coming back squeezing those hoses. The t-stat will open and your coolant will start to flow. When the level drops down, top it off. Then you will see the flow stop (thats the t-stat closing). Then wait one more time for it to open and flow again, top it off if need be, then put the radiator cap back on....and your done.

If that doesn't work, PM me, I live right near you, I'll take care of it for you.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a clogged radiator; it happened to me
Old 06-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slayerized6
could be a clogged radiator; it happened to me
Could be a dozen different things.

Thats why the first thing he needs to do is see if the coolant flows with the radiator cap off.