Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny starts in 3rd sometimes?

Old 06-20-2009, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny starts in 3rd sometimes?

I just did a motor swap last weekend and now I'm having tranny issues which I can't understand since tranny was fine before swap. What's happening is it isn't downshifting all the time. Sometimes when I come to a complete stop and try to get going again the tranny will be in 3rd. Only way to get 1st again is to shift the shifter between OD and R till I feel the forward pull. Does all that make sense? Any ideas?

For example, today I backed car out of garage and when I put it in OD and gave it gas I noticed it was in 3rd(I'm guessing) but as soon as I put it in reverse and back into OD I had 1st. WTF? Datamasters datalog says there are no tranny codes. Too me it's like the pump isnt working like it should. I'm running tranny cooler cause of stall and the cooler has been there over 2 yrs now. Would getting the tranny cooler lines crossed cause a restriction in fluid flow. I figured it doesn't really matter how you hook hoses up to cooler. Am I wrong? Someone at a local tranny shop said it sounds like my 3-2 downshift solenoid is going bad. Any truth to that?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Check harness plug at trans but starting in third you should be setting a code unless they were all turned off in the tune

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-20-2009, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

Will check harness tomm and double check for codes. And thanks for helping as it's getting frustrating.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, checked linkage like people have said to do, checked connectors, and went ahead and changed filter/fluid. Fluid looked fine as did the filter.
It drove great today, drove around for an hour or so then off to work. Then when I went to leave work and it did it again. Same as before I had to shift between reverse and drive till I felt the forward pull. Could the pump be going out? Other than checking for codes, I'm at a loss.
I've had numerous people tell me it's the linkage but I don't see how when there is two bolts that hold linkage to tranny and the gear selector just pops on or off so how can that be adjusted or off if it only goes on one way? Am I missing something here?

Tranny was fine before I did motor swap. I'll try and see if I can get any codes but if there no codes, what could it be?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey this almost sounds like my problem..i remember i used to have a tranny alond time ago that did something similar to our issues and would only go into reverse or d when i went back and fourth on the gears and pretty sure it was a chunk of debri blocking something and would comelooses after working the gears back and forth. but anyways good luck.. im in the same boat with mine..one minute feels like im taking off in either 2nd or third and other times is perfect..im ready to pull my hair out
Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

TTT anyone have any ideas? I see I'm not the only one to have this problem and thanks chevelle for your post.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you shift does it feel sloshly? Not as tight as it should be? Could be a linkage problem. Double check with a buddy. You could have accidently broken the linkage. Which is easier to do then ya think.

If possible put the car on a 2 point lift, you in the car and running. Have a friend watch the linkage. Shift the car in to numerous gears and let your friend know what gear its in when you shift. If the linkage doesn't move, or hardly moves when you do so. This could be your problem.

No codes?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunately mine aint linkage.

Search this Thread