Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Changed my clutch today, very surprised

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Changed my clutch today, very surprised

Okay guys, just looking for a little feedback of what happened here. I swapped out my ~5k mile LS6 clutch that was slipping like crazy for a monster level 3, and met with an interesting discovery. The old pressure plate had extreme wear on the fingers, which it looks like the TOB was riding the fingers all the time probably. The clutch disk itself, and the flywheel and pressure plate all look brand new for the inside inch or so, the very outside half inch is really worn and glazed. The metal surfaces on the fw and pp still have the manufacturing little ridges up until the outside edge as well, looks like the day it went in the car on the inside. I will post pics in the morning but I'm wondering if anyone knows why it might have done this. My guess is the TOB riding on the release fingers? I don't know why it would do that there is no shim all 100% stock parts. I didn't bother to check the gap since I was using stock everything.

Also, the clutch was a PITA to install back when I did it, the pp wouldn't line up at all I ended up using a mallet to get the dowels in.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres some pix, crappy quality I don't know why my camera is doing that lately.

On the PP, you can't tell because of the blur but the fingers are worn along the inside edge a lot, way more than on the top face.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

dude, throw that whole assembly back in and go another 45K. . . Looks normal and good to me.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duffster
dude, throw that whole assembly back in and go another 45K. . . Looks normal and good to me.
Normal and good, not really. I couldn't go much past 1/2 throttle or 5k rpm or it would start slipping so bad I could smell it for the next 20 miles. It seriously drove 10x worse than the stock LS1 clutch it replaced that had over 150k on it.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, teh pics are really hard to tell, with the blur and all, but if the clutch was that new (5K miles as you said) but it slipped that bad, you probaly had an engagement problem, in that it was always disengaged partially (you were riding teh clutch without knowing it) You say you did not check the clearances, so maybe it was improperly shimmed would be a guess, or a sticking slave. When you did teh clutch, DID you replace teh slave, or????
Old 06-21-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, teh pics are really hard to tell, with the blur and all, but if the clutch was that new (5K miles as you said) but it slipped that bad, you probaly had an engagement problem, in that it was always disengaged partially (you were riding teh clutch without knowing it) You say you did not check the clearances, so maybe it was improperly shimmed would be a guess, or a sticking slave. When you did teh clutch, DID you replace teh slave, or????
When I put it in everything was new, master, slave, clutch disk, fw, pp, everything. I didn't shim it since it was a factory setup, I didn't think it would need one. It looks like maybe it was riding partially disengaged all the time. (I don't ride the pedal, definitely not new to driving manual transmission)
Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds kind of like a hydralic issue keeping it engauged. Did you use an adjustable master cylinder that could have been adjusted incorrectly causing it to always be slightly engauged? I think your suppose to have 4-6 inches or so of freeplay on the clutch pedal before it starts to disengauge.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

What does the thow out bearing look like? Where was it engaging when you first installed it? How muc play did you have at the top of pedal?
Old 06-21-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaddySS
What does the thow out bearing look like? Where was it engaging when you first installed it? How muc play did you have at the top of pedal?
The TOB has a 1/8th inch ring dug into it from the pressure plate. It had about 1 to 2 inch of play on the pedal, felt normal compared to my buddies SS with the same stock clutch. I compared the slave to the new one I installed and its the same exact thing. I'm just curious to see what the problem was.