General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Try to fix turn signals again, really messed stuff up

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Try to fix turn signals again, really messed stuff up

Brief history ... about 1 year ago my turn signal wouldn't cancel, so I decided to fix it myself. Not realizing how the clock spring worked, I ended up killing it and taking out the airbag computer. Got it all working again.

About a month ago it stopped again, took it apart thinking it was the springs again, but it turned out to be the cam.

In the last few days the other signal stopped working. So I took it apart, both springs were fine, cam is almost new ... not sure the problem. So I put it back together but forgot to take the tape off of the clock spring, learned since my first time.

Here's where I really messed up -- I assumed my torque wrench was still set since I had just worked on the steering wheel, but it I had tightened a wheel lug nut so it was at 100, not 32. When I put my steering wheel puller on it ended up breaking off the tip, embedding it into the end of the steering column. I turned the wheel back and forth and was able to pull the tape off through the gaps. I did take it for a quick test drive ... of course now neither signal cancels. Now my questions are:

1. I don't want to kill my airbags again - did I mess up my clock spring turning the wheel with some tape on it? I haven't plugged the airbag back in yet.

2. How to I get the tip of the wheel puller out of the steering column and get the overtightened nut off?