Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you tell if a head is ported and how much power should I make?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you tell if a head is ported and how much power should I make?

I started this thread to see if you can tell if a head has been ported by looking at it or what should I look for? I just got a set of ported 241 heads 2.02 In/ 1.6 Ex and the heads were milled .016 when they were ported for my LS1. I can tell though it has double springs though. How much power should I make to the rear wheels? Just a guess a ment. I have a 98 Camaro SS with Kook's LT, Kook's catted Y, GMMG Exhaust, FTP Lid, SLP 85mm MAF, K&N Air Filter, SLP CAI and Throttle Body Coupler and the car is tuned on a Mustang Dyno made 320 RWHP and 301 RWTQ. Now If I add these Ported 241 heads and a custom cam 226/228 .585/.588 112+4, LS6 intake and Underdrive Pulley about how much should the car dyno or how much more HP should I expect to pick up? Thanks alot and thanks for looking.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

320 with bolt ons and a tune...? I've seen a lot of bolt on cars with tune hit 350-360 at the wheels. Its tough to say how much you will have at the wheels with the mods you are listing, I've seen some with a similar cam and stock heads make 380-390 but I bet that car was making 350-360 with just boltons......
Old 06-23-2009, 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a Mustang dyno which they say reads lower but you hear so much different stuff on that dyno vs a dyno jet cause I think the mustang dyno would be like when you drive in an every day condition, I think. Where if I'm not mistaking a dyno jet don't include the car weight or something like that. From what I've been reading if I put it on a dyno jet I may be making around that 350 mark. But that's a whole total different thread. Were the cars you seen on a dyno jet or mustang dyno? The car is very strong though.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

dynos are tuning tools only. you can go to 3 different dynojets(same model #) and get 3 different readings(+/- 20rwhp i'd bet). what a car traps is a much better indication of the power it makes. as far as the heads post some pics of the intake runners and somebody should be able to give you an idea if they are ported

Search this Thread