Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get a new cam pin?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Where to get a new cam pin?? Help

So the cam pin broke off when I took off the timing sprocket...long story short I had a machine shop get the old one out for me....I bought a new pin from the local stealership and it's like .005 too small....Seems like the pin hole is 1/4 and the pin is .005 smaller (.245) so the pin just drops in the cam)....Anybody got an extra cam pin laying around or know where I can get one?? Can I just use any metal pin the size I need?
Thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 03:04 AM
TECH Regular

Is it a GM cam or aftermarket? I would imagine the manufacturer could get you one or maybe the machine shop could do it.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the hole is oversize, McMaster-Carr has oversize pins. I would check with Comp first though or if someone has a cam available they could measure the OD for you to make sure the dealer part was correct to start with.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Nope it's an aftermarket cam, an ECS cam but remember if the pin is a different size than stock than the timing gear isn't going to be right either and it's made to work with replacement timing sets so it cant be different. I get wrong parts from the stealership for work all the time so I'm not surprised. The pin has slop inside the timing gear too so it is the pin that is wrong. My machine shop is out of 1/4 dowel pins and he said most places you have to buy a whole pack even if you just need one. Can I go to like Lowe's and get 1/4 steel rod or does it have to be special heat treated steal or something?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Double checked at the dealer and on the screen it said 1/4x5/8....and well it's .004 under 1/4 so someone was drunk at the quality control department or they bagged it wrong, ordered another one hopefully this one is exactly 1/4, should know soon.