General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cylinder 6 Misfire???? Confused As S*&@

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder 6 Misfire???? Confused As S*&@

Ok.. So Last Friday It Rained Like Crazy Here In South East Mi, And I Drove My 2000 Camaro From Saline To Waldlake Average Speed Was 40-45mph Get To My Destanation Park It.. Next Mornin Go To Drive To Up To Postkey And Started Missing Like Crazy Plug It In And Said Random Cylinder Miss Fire.. Drove It Then It Cleared Up.. Soo I Drove It The 4hrs Thinking That All The Heat From The Long Drive Would Dry Everyhting Out.. Well Ran Great Then Turned Her Off To Fill It Up.. Fired It Back Up Ran Fine Then Started Missing Again Drove 2-3 Mins Then Ran Fine Till I Got To Where I Was Going.. Sat All Night Got In It The NExt Morning Started Her Up Ran Fine Then 10 Mins In To Drivin Started Missing Again Then 2-3 Mins After It Did It Stoped And Ran Fine Then once Again Figured Driving 4-5hrs At consitant 80mph Would Dry Anything Out Got Back To My Shop Plug The Computer Back In It Cylinder 6 Misfire Showed Up.. Soo Changed The Wire Out With A New One And Switch Coil Pack Thinking It Move To A Different Cylinder And Still Says Cylinder 6 Misfire.. I Should Be Getting My MSD Wires And NGK Plugs Tomorrow And Thursday Im Going To Throw Them In...

-Soo I Was Wondering If Anyone Else Has Ran Into This Problem And Or Would Soultion To My Problem....

-Thanks
Dan
Old 06-23-2009, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a plug... I'd change the plugs and wires and see if that fixes it.

If that isn't it, I'd say you pretty much eliminated spark as your problem. I'd then start looking at fuel related issues.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have longtubes? My car did something similiar. I drove through a deep puddle of water...didn't think anything of it all that day and next day it drove fine. The following night I raced a mustang 4 times and all was well got done running him turned it off and parked for like 30 min. Then I drove back into town cut it off for 10 min. then when I cranked it up missed like a ****. got it home and changed plugs still there changed 02 sensors and voila problem been gone ever since. In short check your 02's it couldn't hurt. Oh and BTW me driving it with bad O2's fouled out one of my plugs so it might have done the same thing to you.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Launching!

If you did get an 02 sensor wet it should throw a code for it... If you do find out thats what did it go to your local autozone and get some corvette 02s they are longer than your stockers and it wont hurt to get them wet... Get the car out and make a few wot passes... If it is an 02 it should clear up and run good as soon as you hit wot.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Little_dan04
Ok.. So Last Friday It Rained Like Crazy Here In South East Mi, And I Drove My 2000 Camaro From Saline To Waldlake Average Speed Was 40-45mph Get To My Destanation Park It.. Next Mornin Go To Drive To Up To Postkey And Started Missing Like Crazy Plug It In And Said Random Cylinder Miss Fire.. Drove It Then It Cleared Up.. Soo I Drove It The 4hrs Thinking That All The Heat From The Long Drive Would Dry Everyhting Out.. Well Ran Great Then Turned Her Off To Fill It Up.. Fired It Back Up Ran Fine Then Started Missing Again Drove 2-3 Mins Then Ran Fine Till I Got To Where I Was Going.. Sat All Night Got In It The NExt Morning Started Her Up Ran Fine Then 10 Mins In To Drivin Started Missing Again Then 2-3 Mins After It Did It Stoped And Ran Fine Then once Again Figured Driving 4-5hrs At consitant 80mph Would Dry Anything Out Got Back To My Shop Plug The Computer Back In It Cylinder 6 Misfire Showed Up.. Soo Changed The Wire Out With A New One And Switch Coil Pack Thinking It Move To A Different Cylinder And Still Says Cylinder 6 Misfire.. I Should Be Getting My MSD Wires And NGK Plugs Tomorrow And Thursday Im Going To Throw Them In...

-Soo I Was Wondering If Anyone Else Has Ran Into This Problem And Or Would Soultion To My Problem....

-Thanks
Dan
Rain can't make a car missfire, unless you have a torn wire somewhere. Water does nothing to the elctrical system if its in good condition.

I drive in South Florida, where we have the worst down pours in the world, I have never had a misfire in 11+ years with my LSx.

You probably have a dirty injector in #6. Swap it with another injector to rule that out.

But also you MUST swap that spark plug with a new one, it could be cracked.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not saying that the rain caused the misfire. I would think that it is possible for the rain to foul out the 02's which could then foul out a plug. And at least with me I had no idea my 02's were messed up til it started missing and I then investigated. If it happened to me then it could happen to someone else too.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
I am not saying that the rain caused the misfire. I would think that it is possible for the rain to foul out the 02's which could then foul out a plug. And at least with me I had no idea my 02's were messed up til it started missing and I then investigated. If it happened to me then it could happen to someone else too.
I agree. But rain can't effect an 02 sensor either. Rain or any other type of moisture can only effect bad wires or where the wires connect to the sensors if they're messed up. You should be able to drive through 1 foot of water all day long, as long as everything is sealed, its fine.

He needs to check the wiring to make sure its not torn or shredded from road debris. The wires can be fixed with shrink wrap.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks For All The Info..Yes I Have Longtubes, I Just Got My Msd Wires And Ngk Plugs Im Going To Look At The Wiring For The 2 O2 Sensors I Have And Then Replace The Plugs And Wires And Hopefuly It Clears Up... If Not I'll Try Switching The #6 Injector With Another One.. I'll Keep You All Posted.. And Thanks Again
-Dan
Old 06-24-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a similar problem.
Cylinder 7 misfire, did plugs, wires, moved coils, 02 sensors, everything I could think of.
Pulled the fuel rail and checked out the injectors - NASSSTY.
I had build up on TOP of my injectors clogging the filter baskets. A quick call to FIC, 8 new fuel injectors for 180 bucks, took some carb cleaner and sprayed the rail and got all the **** out. Fired her up and it was like a whole new car.
Also look for vac. leaks.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by question
I had a similar problem.
Cylinder 7 misfire, did plugs, wires, moved coils, 02 sensors, everything I could think of.
Pulled the fuel rail and checked out the injectors - NASSSTY.
I had build up on TOP of my injectors clogging the filter baskets. A quick call to FIC, 8 new fuel injectors for 180 bucks, took some carb cleaner and sprayed the rail and got all the **** out. Fired her up and it was like a whole new car.
Also look for vac. leaks.
Precisely why I run an entire can of Sea Foam through a half tank of gas....every 3-4 months. Been doing it for 11+ years. Keeps the injectors, lines and rails clean.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Ok I'll Do That Tonight As Well.. I Just Put It On My Lift And The Wires For The o2 Sensors Are Not Cut And Still Wraped Up Nicely.. But I Am Getting A Code For o2 Sensors But Idk If Its For The Rear o2's That Arent There Anymore... But Im Goin To Start Diggin Into This I'll Let You All Kno How It Works Out
Old 06-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

Ok I'll Do That Tonight As Well.. I Just Put It On My Lift And The Wires For The o2 Sensors Are Not Cut And Still Wraped Up Nicely.. But I Am Getting A Code For o2 Sensors But Idk If Its For The Rear o2's That Arent There Anymore... But Im Goin To Start Diggin Into This I'll Let You All Kno How It Works Out
The code will tell you if its the front or rear 02's.

Which code is it?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
I agree. But rain can't effect an 02 sensor either. Rain or any other type of moisture can only effect bad wires or where the wires connect to the sensors if they're messed up. You should be able to drive through 1 foot of water all day long, as long as everything is sealed, its fine.

He needs to check the wiring to make sure its not torn or shredded from road debris. The wires can be fixed with shrink wrap.

Actually it can... especially if you go the cheap route and extend your 02 wires yourself. It happens to my car every time i drive it after it rains. It doesn't matter how much i insulate them either I still end up replacing them.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by badss_02
Actually it can... especially if you go the cheap route and extend your 02 wires yourself. It happens to my car every time i drive it after it rains. It doesn't matter how much i insulate them either I still end up replacing them.
Thats what I was saying. If there's some exposed area of a wire somewhere that shouldn't be there, thats just as bad a tear in a wire.

Have you ever tried the shrink tubes. Once those are on there's no way water can get to the wire.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Ok Soo I Got The Plugs And Wires In It.. Ran Great Drove About 15 Miles Shut Her Down To Get Food Went To Leave And Started Missing Again Missfired For About 2 miles Then Clear Back Up Again But I HAve My Scaner Pluged Into It.. And It Seems To Me That It Looks Like The 02 Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1 The Numbers Are Movin Slighty Slower Than Bank 1 Sensor 1.. And This Morning It Ran Fine From My House To Work And It Ran Fine But Still Noticed The Numbers For Bank 2 Were Movin A Little Slow Soo I Think Im Going To Go Head And Replace That Sensor Today After Work
Old 06-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Banned

Ok Soo I Got The Plugs And Wires In It.. Ran Great Drove About 15 Miles Shut Her Down To Get Food Went To Leave And Started Missing Again Missfired For About 2 miles Then Clear Back Up Again But I HAve My Scaner Pluged Into It.. And It Seems To Me That It Looks Like The 02 Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1 The Numbers Are Movin Slighty Slower Than Bank 1 Sensor 1.. And This Morning It Ran Fine From My House To Work And It Ran Fine But Still Noticed The Numbers For Bank 2 Were Movin A Little Slow Soo I Think Im Going To Go Head And Replace That Sensor Today After Work
So you have a bad 02 sensor, thats all. If its not switching properly its bad.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Woo All Better Now! Replaced The o2 Sensor On The Passanger Side And She Runs Like A Rape Date On Prom Night...

Thanks Again For All The Help
-Dan
Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Precisely why I run an entire can of Sea Foam through a half tank of gas....every 3-4 months. Been doing it for 11+ years. Keeps the injectors, lines and rails clean.

I believe Seafoam is what did my injectors in actually. I had 100k miles on my car and was running good, figured I would seafoam and after that it just went down hill. It cant stop particles from clogging the filter baskets. Injectors wear out over time, I'd say it is possible.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by question
I believe Seafoam is what did my injectors in actually. I had 100k miles on my car and was running good, figured I would seafoam and after that it just went down hill. It cant stop particles from clogging the filter baskets. Injectors wear out over time, I'd say it is possible.
What happened?

Tiny little particles will pass through the injectors and just get burned up. But over time I think the mesh screens get grime build up on them, then those little particles stop going through. The you have dirty injectors and declining performance. Keep the mesh clean from grime build up and things are fine.

Its been working great for me for a very long time.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

What happened?

Tiny little particles will pass through the injectors and just get burned up. But over time I think the mesh screens get grime build up on them, then those little particles stop going through. The you have dirty injectors and declining performance. Keep the mesh clean from grime build up and things are fine.

Its been working great for me for a very long time.

Exactly what you described.
I can't blame it fully on seafoam, but this is the only thing I did prior to this happening.

Quick Reply: Cylinder 6 Misfire???? Confused As S*&@