Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Do I need to be concerned about this DS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to be concerned about this DS?

Well, I guess I screwed up the driveshaft when I ripped my torque arm. Would like some comments/suggestions on whether or not to replace it or not.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My new exhaust rubbed a slight ring in mine and i have since launched it to a few 1.6XX 60 foots. Mine is an auto though so there is a lot less chance of breaking it. Being a 6 speed i wouldn't chance it, they will break even when they aren't damaged.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:19 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think of it as it you're scribing a piece of glass so that you can break it in half. I agree, I'd get a new driveshaft. Bob
Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for a new shaft! Or you can risk it and have it blow up and pogo stick your car onto the roof, or tear a hole through the bottom of your car, or come apart and come through the floor and hit you! Deffinatly not worth the risk, what bob described as scribining a line in glass to break it is pretty much what I was envisioning as well.

Bob has a nice PST aluminum shaft for right around $400ish, and midwest chassis can set you up with a nice chrome moly strange piece for around $300ish. Both are proven to take insane abuse.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car is a DD, don't really plan on anything more than 400hp. I don't drag race at the track at all anymore, just street. I've abused my current drive shaft pretty well and so far it's holding, but I'm in the process of finding another stock aluminum one and just put some nice new u-joints in it and have it balanced.