Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to take my converter out

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 08:38 AM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default going to take my converter out

What tools do I need? What are the basic steps I need to take? I have worked on cars but, I haven't taken a converter out before. Please help me
Old 11-12-2003, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of extentions. 13mm socket. 13mm 3/8 drive shallow swivel socket. 1/2-3/8 adapter would probably come in handy, especially if you're using a Craftsman ratchet (they tend to be short, no leverage). 15mm socket, 15mm wrench for torque arm and trans mount. PB Blast to loosten the 02 sensors (use VERY sparingly, too much could seep in and contaminate. Never touch or allow an O2 sensor to get dirty. Store it seperate). An 02 socket helps, but a large adjustable will probably work. You'll need a 24mm socket for the crank bolt (to turn the motor for the TC bolts). A 3/8" torque wrench. Jack, stands, a buddy to spot you if the trans falls on you.

I think that's about it. Anything else would be in a basic set anyway. Oh, a pick with a 90 degree hook on one end, to fish out the connector for the oil level sending unit. You'll need to unplug that to drop the starter

Good luck!