Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need insight.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need insight.

This is my first swap so just making sure I do it right not ghetto rigged.

Car is a Lexus SC400. Will be swapping 5.3L. I was wondering what PITA level it would be to keep it fuel injected or swap to a carb. I have a 4L80 and 700R4 tranny. One for either way I go. Car will be daily drove. Not a high horse monster. Just a simple H/C 5.3. Basically would I be happier with fuel injected or carbed? IYO??
Old 06-24-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go w/ FI... wouldn't think the SC would have the clearance for a carb manifold, carb and air cleaner.

Wiring isn't difficult if you can take the time to do it right. Label maker in one hand, pinouts in the other. I think I can get my engine started by the weekend, will have ~10 hours in it by then.

I'm getting it running and sorted on a stand to minimize the time my garage is occupied my the transplant recipient.

Would *guess* the 4l80 wouldn't fit in the tunnel of the SC... so I'd go w/ the 700r4 or maybe trade for a 4l60.

Now the obligatory, why?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

well the stock motor has 178,xxx and I dont have the slightest clue on the last oil change. I inheriated the car from the wifey. Ive looked into performnace on the 1UZFE platform. And the money to HP ratio is really one sided. Money side that is. I would have to buy an M90 supercharger, and the intake kit ($2500) to just get a little over 300rwhp. Since the motor can not handle that with the amount of miles on it, Im looking at another 5grand on the motor to handle boost to get in the 330-350 rwhp range. There for a 5.3L (already have minus intake) with mild H/C can put me above that range to start with. And how many Lexus SC400's do you know of with an LSX based motor. I mean I get all the luxury from Lexus and the power from GM.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

if you decide that you want us the 700r4 and you want to sell the 80e let me no i am in the market.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:05 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For a daily driver I would go EFI for sure. If you get all the EFI parts with the engine do the wiring yourself, and get a budget PCM reprogram done, it would be cheaper than a carb. The only swap that I am even half thinking of going with a carb on is my boat.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Armyman2445
well the stock motor has 178,xxx and I dont have the slightest clue on the last oil change. I inheriated the car from the wifey. Ive looked into performnace on the 1UZFE platform. And the money to HP ratio is really one sided. Money side that is. I would have to buy an M90 supercharger, and the intake kit ($2500) to just get a little over 300rwhp. Since the motor can not handle that with the amount of miles on it, Im looking at another 5grand on the motor to handle boost to get in the 330-350 rwhp range. There for a 5.3L (already have minus intake) with mild H/C can put me above that range to start with. And how many Lexus SC400's do you know of with an LSX based motor. I mean I get all the luxury from Lexus and the power from GM.
I've got a buddy that has a forged 1UZ (still in the machine shop) with all the goodies and a TRD blower that would probably sell the lot if you want to stick with the Lexus powerplant. He picked up a new toy and wants to get rid of his old one. Just shoot me a PM if you want his contact info.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

its so easy to keep an LS1 fuel injected, seriuously, just a few wires and bam youre done. the FI setup is so much more user friendly and daily drivable too. the stock GM LS1 PCM and all that other jazz can be retained and it offers such easy tuneability too, you dont want to **** that up going carb.