General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is this a bad wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this a bad wheel bearing?

My car had a bad pull to the left so I took it to an alignment shop for front end alignment. The tech noted my left outer tie rod was shot, so I replaced it and then came back to the shop. He fixed the toe-in which was out of whack, and made sure the caster and camber were good. He took it for a test drive and noted that it still pulls to the left a bit and a small shimmy in the steering wheel. He thought that the front left tire might have shifted a belt or something (not likely IMO, since they have like 1000 miles on them).

I took the car and the next time I got on the freeway, I noticed a couple of things. First when I turn the wheel left (like when changing lanes moving left), I can hear a low growling/rumble coming from somewhere but I can't really pinpoint it. I also have started to feel a pulsing shimmy the car, like a tire that isn't balanced right, but it doesn't do a constant vibration, more like wigglewigglewiggle, smooth, wigglewigglewiggle, smooth, rapidly (lol, bad description). Also the car is really pulling to the left pretty hard.

Another thing I have noticed is that I can hear a low growl (sounds the same as when turning left) when I am going slow, like 20mph or less.

Is this a bad front wheel bearing, left side (causing the pull also)? Any other things it might be?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jack up the car and try and wiggle the wheel. If it wiggles the wheel bearing is shot and you should replace it asap. Almost always if you are turning and noticing the noise its a shot wheel bearing.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. I had one go bad had the same problem. But it would make noise when turning in one direction and quit when I turned the other way. I lifted the car up and checked the tire wiggle. Grab from top to bottom and wiggle. Mine was very slight but I guess it was enough. If your hearing it turning both ways both might be going on you. You might want to check your brake pads as well. If your brakes a hanging up you might get that problem.