Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We found the problem with the Turbo 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 10:20 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default We found the problem with the Turbo 350

I went to see my tranny guy last night and we talked for about an hour.

We think the problem is that this tranny had a tranz-brake in it. We took out the brake so I would be legal to run footbrake class at out local track. You can not have a brake in the car and run footbrake class and yes they do check.

We think that we have to much line pressure in the tranny. The case has alot of the fluid passages blocked off.

To fix the problem we are put in a new reverse manual valve body a new case and new sprag/drum. This should fix the problem. We will have it back together for the Big Money race($2,500.00 to win) at TAD on Nov. 23rd

Andrew, I hope you can come out and run your Hot Rod also. Track prep will be great!

Coach
Old 11-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what kind of valvebody was in it before? You are almost completely rebuilding it right?
Old 11-12-2003, 12:53 PM

It had the tranz-brake reverse manual valve body in it.

Yes, we are going to completely rebuilding it.

Look for us to try a power glide next spring/summer.

Coach
Old 11-12-2003, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
It had the tranz-brake reverse manual valve body in it.

Yes, we are going to completely rebuilding it.

Look for us to try a power glide next spring/summer.

Coach
Hey coach, did it also have the upgraded sprag/drum? If not, are you trying that when ur tranny guy rebuilds it to see how it holds after that? Cuz if that's the only thing that is goin out, replacing that with the upgraded one would be the cheapest and easiest way to go first. And then if it still doesn't hold, why not try a built up Turbo 400? I just think the glide would hurt ur cars performance and don't think it's worth it, but that's just my opinion.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Hey coach, did it also have the upgraded sprag/drum? If not, are you trying that when ur tranny guy rebuilds it to see how it holds after that? Cuz if that's the only thing that is goin out, replacing that with the upgraded one would be the cheapest and easiest way to go first. And then if it still doesn't hold, why not try a built up Turbo 400? I just think the glide would hurt ur cars performance and don't think it's worth it, but that's just my opinion.
No, it had a stock one in it. My tranny guy will cover the cost of the rebuild so I am going to let him take care of everything. The great thing is they take out the tranny and put it back in. All I have to do is pick it up when it is finished and drive the hell out of it at the track.

I still do not understand why a glide would slow a LS1 down. They speed up everything else.

Coach
Old 11-12-2003, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

No, it had a stock one in it. My tranny guy will cover the cost of the rebuild so I am going to let him take care of everything. The great thing is they take out the tranny and put it back in. All I have to do is pick it up when it is finished and drive the hell out of it at the track.

I still do not understand why a glide would slow a LS1 down. They speed up everything else.

Coach
Well I was just thinkin that with the glide, most of those cars are full blown drag cars all tubbed out and everything and have to put like a crazy 5.xx gear in the rear and have a huge tire like in the 30+ inch range for it to make it faster (or at least I think that's how most of 'em are setup from what i've heard), right? And I know our cars will not fit a 30+ inch tire in the stock wheel wells, I barely fit a 28x11.5 under mine. I could be wrong about all that, but that's just the impression I was under, and why I didn't think the glide would work good in an ls1, cuz I didn't think you'd be able to get the right rear gear/tire combo for it to perform to it's potential and the way it was meant too.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Location: From the Bowels of Hell!!! You want some of me bitch?!?!?!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask George C on the glide vs TH350/TH400 thing. He has had both in there and said he prefers the TH350/TH400.

BTW, the TH350 stock sprag will KEEP giving you problems. Upgrade to the TH400 sprag or a complete TH400.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

You guys almost make me nervous for leaving the regular 2nd gear sprag in my new tranny which goes in the car this weekend. I did put 8k miles on a different one though running 10's with a lil nitrous and no problems. So I guess we will see.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

A powerglide transmission will only benefit a car that weighs like 2500 lbs or has moocho HP. You have to look at the gearing in the transmission and what it takes to get the car moving off the line, drag racing is all about the launch.

Hey Coach.. that sucks they check to see if you have a transbrake in the car. I have one in my car I just disconnect the wiring to it and show the tech guy it don't work.

You know what I don't understand about some of the footbrake racing guys, so what if you have a transbrake in the car, its sooo obvious that your using it when you goto race. I don't see how you could hide it. I mean first of all you would be sitting at the line double staged with no brake lights. Ok so alot of race cars don't have brake lights, well your car would be sitting there all quiet then you would hear the car get floored or get 2 stepped and you could easily see that the suspension isn't getting preloaded. The track official should be able to catch it if you used the brake.

I will admit that I can cut a better tree off my transbrake than the footbrake any day of the week. I just don't see why they won't you keep it in the car.

Ah well look at it like this.. with the brake out of the tranny you cut down on weight, thats more ET HEHE..

Oh yea, Coach do you shift to 3rd in the water box and drive out of your burnout when you turn the linelock off? I would never shift to 2nd and turn the line lock off letting the tires bite. That will surely kill the 2nd gear too.

Lee
Old 11-12-2003, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I'd replace the sprag I had heard that was the weak link with T350's so I got a T400 for the Firebird.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:01 PM

Devon,
I have a 5.13 gear and run a 30x9x15 slicks.

Lee,
I hear ya buddy. They check for tranz-brakes at Lone star raceway. It was a very big deal this year. I know that TAD in Temple they will let you run a traz-brake if you disconnect it.

I have done both way of doing a burnout. This is a topic that is up in the air right now. On dragraceresults.com they all said to go into high gear but my tranny guy, Madman and most convertor companies have said not to go into high gear or it will shorten the life of the convertor.

PSJ,
We are going to update the sprag/drum.

Coach
Old 11-12-2003, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have done both way of doing a burnout. This is a topic that is up in the air right now. On dragraceresults.com they all said to go into high gear but my tranny guy, Madman and most convertor companies have said not to go into high gear or it will shorten the life of the convertor.

I've been through this too with other people something about not using high gear because you are free spinning the converter to a pretty high rpm with no load on the drive train. All the experts down here say to use the high gear that the convertor is stronger than the gear in the tranny.

If you watch any of my videos you can hear me shift, I'm only in 3rd for a second then I release the linelock and drive out of it.

Coach.. what rpm are you trapping with the 30" and 5.13 gears?

I'm trapping at 6700 rpm with my 29.5"x10.5" and 4.30 gear.

Lee
Old 11-13-2003, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Devon,
I have a 5.13 gear and run a 30x9x15 slicks.
Wow and Holy ****!!!! That's just nuts!!!!! Also, how'd you get those bigass slicks to fit under there?
Old 11-13-2003, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FEAR THE LS1
I've been through this too with other people something about not using high gear because you are free spinning the converter to a pretty high rpm with no load on the drive train. All the experts down here say to use the high gear that the convertor is stronger than the gear in the tranny.

If you watch any of my videos you can hear me shift, I'm only in 3rd for a second then I release the linelock and drive out of it.

Coach.. what rpm are you trapping with the 30" and 5.13 gears?

I'm trapping at 6700 rpm with my 29.5"x10.5" and 4.30 gear.

Lee
Hey Lee, when I get my 12-bolt and get back out (should have one in two weeks, a lil sooner than I thought, woohoo!), u think you could teach me the correct way to do a burnout with this tranny so that I don't put uneeded stress on it and trash it? Also, I don't have a linelock, so does it make any diff?
Old 11-13-2003, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sup Devon..

A line lock makes doing burnouts a no brainer. They don't cost much and are a snap to install.

That will be great when you get a 12 bolt, get you back to the track. Hehe your journey is only beginning, next you will run 11's then you will need a cage, it nevers ends..but its fun as hell...

Lee
Old 11-13-2003, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

CAn't you just un-hook the wire to the solenoid on the brake? I've always heard of this when running a t-brake car in the foot brake class.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:01 AM

To fit the slicks we did some rerolling of the fender wells.

At the tracks I run for points at they check to see if you have a solenoid for the traz-brake. If you do they will not let you run in the footbrake class. You will have to run top et.

Iam trapping at 7,000 rpms about 100 feet from the finish line(1/4 mile) with the stock motor. With the new motor we will set the rev limiter a little higher so I can pull all the way through the finish line.

Coach
Old 11-13-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FEAR THE LS1
Sup Devon..

A line lock makes doing burnouts a no brainer. They don't cost much and are a snap to install.

That will be great when you get a 12 bolt, get you back to the track. Hehe your journey is only beginning, next you will run 11's then you will need a cage, it nevers ends..but its fun as hell...

Lee
Yeah, I just meant, like show me the correct technique, like should I floor it and just keep shiftin till it's in third, and then how long do I leave it there in third before comin out, and then since i'm usin the foot brake, i'd just let off of that whenever you would let off the line lock, until I get one. I was just curious cuz you guys were talkin about the whole lettin out in second thing and the lettin out in third and so on and so on.