Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Carb Legal "Long Tube" Headers?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Rai
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Carb Legal "Long Tube" Headers?

i was not aware that anyone made CA smog legal tube headers until i stumbled across this while searching the air resource boards database for ls1 products. when i did a search on the edelbrock website it seems like the whole "TES" line up is just shortys.

here it is:
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-215-42.pdf

weird.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think california refers to anything that is not a cast manifold as a "long tube" header. There are a few shorties and one or two mids that are floating around carb legal.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah those arent LTs. they are just shorties with a ypipe
Old 06-25-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i'm not sure why everybody thinks you need a Y-pipe to pass smog . . . if you don't move the cats from the original position you're all good!!!!! i have 3" true duals and my manifolds and cats, just passed smog visual and tailpipe but yes that letter refers to shorty headers
Old 06-25-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well for us LT1 guys our cats are in the y pipe. so we're f****d
Old 06-25-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by King Nothing
i'm not sure why everybody thinks you need a Y-pipe to pass smog . . . if you don't move the cats from the original position you're all good!!!!! i have 3" true duals and my manifolds and cats, just passed smog visual and tailpipe but yes that letter refers to shorty headers
F-body up to 2000 had y-pipe cats. In 2000 they switched to the ones that come right off the manifold. You can probably get away with putting the 00+ cats on a 98 or 99 car, but LT1s get screwed either way.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rai
i was not aware that anyone made CA smog legal tube headers until i stumbled across this while searching the air resource boards database for ls1 products. when i did a search on the edelbrock website it seems like the whole "TES" line up is just shortys.

here it is:
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-215-42.pdf

weird.
I tried to find a set of Long Tube headers for CA, they don't exist in smog legal form, only tube shorties are avail from what I found. And I was told they weren't worth the trouble for the lack of gain you get.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Launching!

So basically for us guys in Cali it not worth putting headers on our cars? What if I put LT on anyway? I wonder if the police would try to look under the car?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
F-body up to 2000 had y-pipe cats. In 2000 they switched to the ones that come right off the manifold. You can probably get away with putting the 00+ cats on a 98 or 99 car, but LT1s get screwed either way.
yep you can smog it as a 00-02 if you pull the equipment from a 00-02 and say your engine went bye bye and you wanted to upgrade to the engine and smog equipment from a 00-02, 92 can even drop in a 02 LS1 engine and smog equipment and be totally legal as long as they let the ref know about it
Old 06-25-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"So basically for us guys in Cali it not worth putting headers on our cars?"

I disagree. I think a well constructed set of short tube headers would be well worth the effort. I have a 3rd gen but my car is doing very well with smog legal short tube headers. Should be in the 11's shortly. Almost there now.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
"So basically for us guys in Cali it not worth putting headers on our cars?"

I disagree. I think a well constructed set of short tube headers would be well worth the effort. I have a 3rd gen but my car is doing very well with smog legal short tube headers. Should be in the 11's shortly. Almost there now.
shorties will work but they wont get you the power LT's will and to most people on here they say it's a wast of money yet they'll go spend $1200 on the FAST manifold and TB

what are the mods on your car?
Old 06-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shorties may be a "waste" on a stock motor, but that doesn't mean they're worthless. Shorties scavenge higher in the RPM range than longtubes. That's why longtubes show much better gains - they don't flow any better than shorties but they scavenge much lower in the RPM range, showing larger gains much sooner. Shorties become advantageous if the motor is turning higher RPM's or needs more flow than manifolds can give. If you have heads and a cam and are spinning at 6800+ rpm's, shorties can show gains. Same thing in supercharged applications. I wouldn't bother on a stock motor to put shorties, but when engine mods are increased and you need more flow and turn higher RPM's, shorties can give you significant gains over stock manifolds. It's all about what your future plans are.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

but CA it's harder than anywhere to run LT's and not worry about a fine from the state ref
Old 06-25-2009, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

but CA it's harder than anywhere to run LT's and not worry about a fine from the state ref
Yep, you hit the nail right on the button!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Longtube headers are illegal in every state. Any set of headers that movies the catalytic converters is illegal. California is just the only state that explicitly looks for them. If CAFE laws are nationalized, which is what Nobama wants to do, then every state will have to deal with CA's stringent inspection requirements. If Nobama has his way, everyone will be putting their stock manifolds back on and ripping out any cam bigger than a TR224. Keep an eye out guys, the end of the muscle car era is dawning.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Longtube headers are illegal in every state. Any set of headers that movies the catalytic converters is illegal. California is just the only state that explicitly looks for them. If CAFE laws are nationalized, which is what Nobama wants to do, then every state will have to deal with CA's stringent inspection requirements. If Nobama has his way, everyone will be putting their stock manifolds back on and ripping out any cam bigger than a TR224. Keep an eye out guys, the end of the muscle car era is dawning.
yep i was gonna say that lol
Old 06-25-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did someone get busted recently...? If you did, can you say what happened...?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

I'm bringing my long tubed, cammed, nitroused, polluting SOB car back to Cali in January. It's worth it to pay a little extra every so often for smog. Does it suck??? Hell yes! Or... I've thought about forging my motor and installing a Pro Charger, but that's a lot of money. It's more fun to be illegal.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
just because there may be gov't regulation doesn't mean you can't get around it......
Old 07-02-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.. and just cause you can get around it, doesn't mean you will not get fined for removing or modifying FED Regulated Emission equipment.

Due to the fact that the Cat must be at the required distance from the engine port, there will never be a Full LT header. The Best you can do and be legal is a Short that pertty much bolts to the factory location and equipment.

The Fed requlations overrides any and all state laws and regulations. Just cause the state laws and regulation dose not explicitly state it, doesn't mean you can do something to get around it.

This also goes for the SMOG test, just cause they don't test or look for it, doesn't mean you can do away or modify it per the Fed Laws.

Just my 2cents...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CA Carb Legal "Long Tube" Headers?