Machine shop layoffs

Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Machine shop layoffs

anyone here work for a large company that has done any layoffs recently? i was working for baker hughes doing cnc programming and the last few weeks i had a feeling that the inevitable was coming! all my supervisors and whatnot kept denying it would happen! well i went in to work my shift tonite and got called in immediately. my job was eliminated along with many others who had less then 10 yrs working with them. it sucks but was completely out of my control. now on to figuring out what im going to do for a replacement job! anyone looking to hire a cnc programmer?

Last edited by ex-SS-ve; 06-25-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default try tenaris mccarty

Kind of messed up at tenaris, but it is a job. Maybe someone with your experience they could use. Try acc department. I think a lot of workers will be leaving. I think if u go to a smaller company u will be appreciated more. I have been through a layoff with hydril so I know how it is. Good luck, mighty mex's homeboy transamfee 2000 firehawk loud with a cam
Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear man. I know Baker laid off some more in another division. Twice in one year. I been at work since 7am and just checked into hotel and be up at 4:30am again. I guess I should be thankful for a job. I will keep an eye out for you.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:45 AM
On The Tree

Joe, that totally sucks. If I hear of anything I will definitely let you know.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

sorry to hear that Joe.. I'll keep an ear out..
Old 06-25-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry to hear Joe. We deal with tons of machine shops. I'll ask around.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

We shut down night shift and laid off about 20 people at my work. I was on nights and luckily went to days. It was still a 10 percent pay cut though.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

sorry to hear. Try looking for smaller companies maybe.
What area are you in?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Sucks to hear Joe. Some of these larger companies are just using the economy as an excuse to trim some fat, even if they really don't "need" to. Takes the burden off of them if they can blame it on something else. I've even seen successful companies make cuts recently, jumping at the rare opportunity to do so. Hope that isn't the case with Baker. Their stock took a dump like everyone else's did last year, but it has continued to rise since then.

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:BHI
Old 06-25-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look up BetLar Services. There located in NW Houston. My ex father in-law owned it and then sold it. Might want to check there. There a small shop but a idea.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

My father in law worked for them and last year was given a package. And he was the head of HR for the north american region, lol.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Banned

I work for Schlumberger. They have cut many machinist in the past few months. We arent out of the woods yet. Sucks bro! You just bought a new camaro too didnt you?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Sucks to hear Joe. Some of these larger companies are just using the economy as an excuse to trim some fat, even if they really don't "need" to. Takes the burden off of them if they can blame it on something else. I've even seen successful companies make cuts recently, jumping at the rare opportunity to do so. Hope that isn't the case with Baker. Their stock took a dump like everyone else's did last year, but it has continued to rise since then.

Dont get me started on that ****. We get emails all the time how we did wayyy better then last year and billion dollar back logs and there doing mass layoffs. Wish I could find a email they sent
Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned

Yah same here. We broke our record for production in a quarter and yet still lay offs.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ThunderZ28
sorry to hear that Joe.. I'll keep an ear out..
thanks Daniel!

Originally Posted by s.o.m.SS
Sorry to hear Joe. We deal with tons of machine shops. I'll ask around.
yea theres plenty of machine sops out there too. problem is there are a lot of laid off machinists as well.

Originally Posted by BigSteele
sorry to hear. Try looking for smaller companies maybe.
What area are you in?
yea i worked for a smaller company previous to this job

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

yea they didnt need to but they used the global economy as a excuse. i seen it coming as they started cutting back on even the smallest things. like overtime , no a/c in the shop, no more vanpool, cutting the machinists down to 2 inserts per dayand so on
Originally Posted by XplicitPerformance
I work for Schlumberger. They have cut many machinist in the past few months. We arent out of the woods yet. Sucks bro! You just bought a new camaro too didnt you?
yea just did!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry to hear about it Joe.

They havent started the layoffs at my job yet, but all the overtime has been cut. Now Im hearing that as of August, we may go to 4 day, 32 hour weeks. My total pay has been more than cut in half, and it really blows when Im still trying to get my wife through college, and I have a 3 1/2 month old.

Im going to spend a few days up in Denver with my sister in about 3 weeks, then Im gonna start lookin for a 2nd job of some sort.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

hey i told you to apply for what im doing...your a chuntaro and have the upper hand on being able to talk to the wets....lol

all jokes aside that does suck man, you can come stay with me,and ill take over the payments on the 5th gen if ya want
Old 06-25-2009, 06:46 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Sorry to hear this Joe.

We've taken a huge hit at my company too.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Sorry to hear about it Joe.

They havent started the layoffs at my job yet, but all the overtime has been cut. Now Im hearing that as of August, we may go to 4 day, 32 hour weeks. My total pay has been more than cut in half, and it really blows when Im still trying to get my wife through college, and I have a 3 1/2 month old.

Im going to spend a few days up in Denver with my sister in about 3 weeks, then Im gonna start lookin for a 2nd job of some sort.
do you work for schlumberger? They just sent us an email today about that same thing. No more over time and 8 hour days 4 days a week. It will more than likely begin within the month. Time to find another job.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

what program are you using? mastercam?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Machine shop layoffs