Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

voltage issues with A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage issues with A/C

so it is hotter than hell here and in my 2001 WS6 i turned on the A/C the other day to realize that when i do the voltage gage drops to like 10v. with the a/c off i can turn everthing in the car on and the thing never moves but as soon as i turn the a/c on it drops. when the drop accurs then the a/c produces less than cold air. the alternator is less than two years old, i just put a brand new batter in it, replaced the main belt and tensioner pully. i have no blown fuses and there appears not to be any shorted wires were visible and accessesable. any help with this situation would be greatly appretiated.

P.S.
the a/c has been charged and at 90 F it has between 45 and 55 psi of refridgerant
Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

is your idle speed increasing when you turn on the air?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine just started doing the same thing. New battery and alternator last year. I suspect the alternator in my case since when the voltage drops giving it some gas increases it a little. Also remember turning the AC on also turns the fans on high speed, so the car is drawing a lot of power.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ What he said.

The fans on wide open, the a/c is drawing a lot of power. Im sure its only doing this at idle, correct? Its fine as long as its not doing this going down the road at more than 1000RPM's.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Teching In

no ..... it runs some better but for the most part it doesnt run great at higher rpms... highest the volt meter gets if at all is 13v even going down the road at like sixty mph .... when i first thought it was the alternator i tried reving the engine with it in park and nothing it wont budge...... just noticed too that with the a/c off that its doing it when i put the car in reverse... and now that you mention it i dont think the idle speed isnt increasing at all when i turn it on.... good looking out on that one ...... im just not sure its the alternator since that with the a/c off i can hook accessories up to it roll the windows up and down have the head lights fog lights inside lights and the stearo and my subs going and the thing stays were it should but now if i throw it in reverse or turn the a/c on it drops like a rock

Quick Reply: voltage issues with A/C