What are my job options with this degree?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default What are my job options with this degree?

I'll be graduating from UNT here in the next year and a half or so with a mechanical and energy engineering degree. What are some job options out there for me? I am fairly interested in engineering field work, especially if the money is right. Getting to travel on someone elses dime, and getting paid to work all around would be cool. Think I can make over 50k a year right out of school?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
I'll be graduating from UNT here in the next year and a half or so with a mechanical and energy engineering degree. What are some job options out there for me? I am fairly interested in engineering field work, especially if the money is right. Getting to travel on someone elses dime, and getting paid to work all around would be cool. Think I can make over 50k a year right out of school?
2 degrees? Why not one or the other?

avg starting salary for an ME is about 60k.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

start looking at dice, should help you see what is out there.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is Dice.com, job board for techies.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its one degree, its a ME degree with some energy classes mixed in. Thanks for the site, I will check it out.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go design us some nice off shore wind farms. No, really you have a lot out there. Check out some of the EPC contractors that build refineries and other complexes of the sort for the oil/energy companies.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the majors for openings. XOM, CVX, Conocophillips, BP all need engineers and right now they are a better bet to hire retain and develop you than the EPC guys who are battling for projects. On the other hand, you might not like the work.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Teching In

You spent thousands at UNT, I am sure they will let you talk to a counselor for free. Your about to Graduate and do not know what is available in your field? What do they offer at colleges these days?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a lot about the job options. But I know there is a lot of engineers on this site so I just wanted to see what everybody thought on here. I wanted a full blown ME degree, but it's either this or mechanical technology.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Hey I have seen your car around Research/Discovery Park. Looks good.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mechanical with energy, eh?

Siemens, GE, Mitsubishi Heavy........any of them that build powerplants....

Also, could look into getting on with a generating company......

Boilermakers, wind turbine manufacturers, gas turbine manufacturers.........

the list goes on and on....
Old 06-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Ryan,just go back to Special Products and take over the company. JK I wouldnt wish that place on my worst enemy. I hated working there. Good luck on your future I know you will succeed.
Monty
Old 06-30-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
Hey I have seen your car around Research/Discovery Park. Looks good.
Thanks man, I used to see yours there often, didnt know you were a member on here though. I drool over the fikses everytime I see your car.

Originally Posted by slamm69
Ryan,just go back to Special Products and take over the company. JK I wouldnt wish that place on my worst enemy. I hated working there. Good luck on your future I know you will succeed.
Monty
Ha, thats what everybody thinks im going to do, graduate and take it over. I mean it would be a good career, and I could own the place one day. Just not sure if that is where I want to go with my life or not. I still have no idea what I want to do or where I want to go. I have narrowed it down to either field engineering work, or joining the military out of college. I just want to travel and see the world while im still young and can enjoy it to the max on my days off of work
Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Well that sounds like a great plan either way. I'm a supervisor out at L3 in greenville now.We work on military aircraft and are allways looking for engineers, but you wouldnt get to travel the world working there. We get satisfaction from modifying aircraft that save soldiers lives. I work with alot of air force personel and if you could stay off the front lines your degree could be put to good use there. You are smarter than most kids who get caught up in ***** and partying then get stuck in a job they hate with no future. They never go anywhere. We are allways trying to travel and see the country maybe not the world, but that has allways been a dream of mine. Matter of fact we are headed to Cozumel in two weeks just for vacation. Dont go back to Special no matter what you do. I know your dad has it made, but the sheet metal business has been to up and down the last 10 or 15 years. Although Rob and Ed would treat you right I think you could do much better for your happiness elsewhere, but thats up to you. Anyway good luck to ya, dont get in any hurry you will probably change your mind a hundred times before you figure it out.You just have too many options to set your mind on one right now.