Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter placement options

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catalytic converter placement options

I'm still building parts for my turbo LS-based swap, and now it has come to exhaust. I'm building a "log header" for the passenger side and using the OEM passenger side manifold mounted on the driver-side facing forward (nothing new there, I know). My question is:

What do you all think of mounting the bullet-cats (from random tech) on the turbine inlet pipes (1 on each side) before they merge into the turbine housing?? It looks like I should be able to fit a 2.5" cat on each bank fairly easily (I did the core support mod, and am using a Griffin radiator and a/c condenser in the "upright" position...so room is pretty good.

Any thought on possible pro/con issues?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump.

Anyone??
Old 06-30-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

cat converters dont go on turbo builds
Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
cat converters dont go on turbo builds
They do indeed go on turbo builds if you are attempting to meet local emissions standards....which I am. Just take a look around with the auto industry in general to see where things are headed. The writing is on the wall. If you think that the days of "cut 'em out and run the **** out of it" are not near an end for all of us, think again.

I, for one, would like to be able to continue to drive my car on public roadways. I'm not looking for replies based on out-dated, ignorant opinion. I'm looking and trying to make myself less ignorant as to what will (or will not) work. As such, SERIOUS replies that can educate me are what I'm after. I'm finding it hard to believe that nobody thus far has a semi-in-depth, educational reply to my original question. I'm sure someone, somewhere, has at least tried (or is using) a system like I'm seeking information on.

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter placement options