Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advise, 00ss messed up after modifications!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advise, 00ss messed up after modifications!

My friend is trying to fix up a 00 ss. The owner payd some guy to modd it, and got the car back all messed up,

The motor runs like crap, and was porly assembled, it has a custom grind 235/239 621.624 113lsa cam, and 8.1 pushrods and stock arms, the rockers hit the valve cover hard
What should the pushrods be long? They seem to be way to long,
Old 06-25-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The list of possible causes is pretty long. Rockers sound like aftermarket pieces that needed valve cover clearancing, they shouldn't be hitting the covers as you're describing.

After that, it's likely the pushrods were sized incorrectly and/or the cam wasn't properly installed.

Proper pushrod length requires measurements, anyone posting here is simply guessing based on what "custom cam" means in their imagination.

After these are ruled out, next up is PCM tuning. Scan the PCM and see what LTFTs it's calculating, how much spark knock, and any cylinder misfire counts.

After that, whip out your compression gauge and hit all 8 cylinders looking for significant variation on any cylinder(s).

That's right dude, it's time to lift the hood and get dirty. No fix on TEH INTARWEBZ.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hood has bin lifted and the guy fixing it is realy good, he's builded some nice camaro's,

But yea, he has allready losen up the rockers, and retigthen them, and fixed the covers so it dosnt' bang anymore, but what would you think about the pushrod length? The are 8.1 and i think they are to long,

Also the car seemst to need remap. It barely runs,

How does this cam sound?
It has, ept 215, 62cc heads,
Old 06-25-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Thule
...but what would you think about the pushrod length? The are 8.1 and i think they are to long,
I think you'll need an adjustable pushrod to answer that question.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

If the mechanical stuff is straightened out, is it tuned ?

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

That pushrod length is correct for the ETP 215's as long as they haven't been milled too much. Also, you should be using 3/8" diameter pushrods at that length. I keep custom Manton pushrods in stock just for those heads. Also, you should be using the billet rocker rails that should have come with the heads. The cam actually sounds like it should work well with that combo and it is likely you need a tune.

Shane