Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker vs. Heads cam car ?

Old 11-12-2003, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stroker vs. Heads cam car ?

Let me try to make this question as short as possible. Why not buy a 383 stroker kit instead of going the heads , cam, headers route? I will be paying the labor for whichever I do.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$$$$$$

Strokers/All bore motors cost alot more than a simple Heads & Cam.

If you got the money there is no replacement for displacement.

Lee
Old 11-12-2003, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you go the stroker route, your not gonna get anywhere near it's full potential without including better flowing heads and a cam...so you want to figure in h/c/headers when you build a stroker (or any hi-performance rebuild for that matter). I am curious though how much more power you would get with the extra displacement of a stroker...all else being equal.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

A stock LS1 makes approximately one horsepower per cubic-inch at the flywheel. Since the displacement increase to 383 is only about 10% it is reasonable to expect a linear increase. Therefore 37 extra cubes should produce an extra 37 hp or so. Assuming 85% drivetrain efficiency you can expect rwhp would increase from 297 to 326. There are much less expensive paths to this sort of gain.

-Gary

Last edited by Gary Z; 11-12-2003 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Let's not forget the best reason for bigger cubes = more area under the curve. Sure and H/C car may have more PEAK HP/TQ but the stroker will kill it it HP/TQ in the area under the curve.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Let's not forget the best reason for bigger cubes = more area under the curve. Sure and H/C car may have more PEAK HP/TQ but the stroker will kill it it HP/TQ in the area under the curve.
Please tell us that you a not saying that a 383 stroker with stock heads and cam will “kill” a heads/cam/headers 346.

Respectfully, Gary
Old 11-12-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look there is no comparison. because either way you need to go heads and cam because why stroke if you don't use the head and cam to compliment it?
Old 11-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Please tell us that you a not saying that a 383 stroker with stock heads and cam will “kill” a heads/cam/headers 346.

Respectfully, Gary
LOL!!!! How many people pay $5k for a stroker shortblock and not put a nice set of heads and a cam to match the setup? The only reason I can see this is for someone planning on spraying a lot and this is a budget build or a low budget forced induction setup with a little more ummphh.. They are still only a head and cam swap away from glory..
Old 11-12-2003, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

A 450rwhp 383 will destroy a 450rwhp h/c car. Unless you are a ahem newbie, it is assumed a stroker has ported heads and a bigger cam.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

I am the man that you speak of putting Stock heads on a stroker!! LOL! You ask why in the hell would I do that?

The main reason I did this is because I felt that I could always build on a bullet proof shortblock later on when I had more money. I am a broke *** college student who couldn't afford at the time the 3000 dollar stage III heads that this motor needs. So what kind of numbers did I get?

With stock LS1 intake, TB, Pulley, I put down 420RWHP and 440RWTQ. The heads were MILDLY ported by hand on the intake and exhaust ports, but I still consider them stock though. I was fairly suprised by these numbers.

My setup:
408 stroker w/ Iron Block.
6.0L Heads
230/236 cam

Thought that these numbers could help ya'lls discussion.

Rusty
Old 11-13-2003, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

TQ is more important than HP. I bet a stroker with stock heads and a cam will make more TQ, have a much better TQ band, and out run a H/C car. Remember our heads are pretty good. They flow better than many of the old school after market heads. Plus you could keep the RPM's down with a stroker. Finally, there are two ways to go. 1. Stock bore + Stroker crank = 383. Stock stroke+ larger bore = 388. If I am wrong, please show me the light.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:12 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FEAR THE LS1
there is no replacement for displacement.
Lee

That's one of my favorite quotes! A similar one is "the only substitute for cubic inches is even more cubic inches"
Old 11-13-2003, 01:15 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00BlacknWhiteSS
I am the man that you speak of putting Stock heads on a stroker!! LOL! You ask why in the hell would I do that?

The main reason I did this is because I felt that I could always build on a bullet proof shortblock later on when I had more money. I am a broke *** college student who couldn't afford at the time the 3000 dollar stage III heads that this motor needs. So what kind of numbers did I get?

With stock LS1 intake, TB, Pulley, I put down 420RWHP and 440RWTQ. The heads were MILDLY ported by hand on the intake and exhaust ports, but I still consider them stock though. I was fairly suprised by these numbers.

My setup:
6.0L Heads
230/236 cam

Rusty
Point well made!
Old 11-13-2003, 06:29 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00BlacknWhiteSS

My setup:
6.0L Heads
230/236 cam

Rusty
This is a good example. Basically, what I said. A budget build with plans on doing something else in the future.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:30 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Like every one said, the stock ls1 heads are pretty damn good, just look at some of the numbers that cam only guys are putting down.

The least you would want to do is change to a suitable cam to take advantage of the added displacement.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"TQ is more important than HP."

Neither is more important than the other since they are directly related...they are the same thing in a sense. HP is a mathematical calculation of work performed that is derived DIRECTLY from TQ (force) and RPM (distance.) TQxRPM/5252=HP A given TQ at a given RPM will always be a given HP regardless of what is making it. If you change one, you change the other. Tell me the TQ and the RPM and I can tell you the HP. Likewise, tell me the HP and the RPM and I can tell you the TQ. See the link?

So, HP IS TQ...that is at work.

Sorry, this whole TQ v/s HP (there should be no such thing as "v/s" in regards to TQ and HP) is one of my pet peeves.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help. Once again it's just a matter of how much $$$ I need to spend. I guess I'll stick with the headers/cam for now. Will I be able to use the same cam , pushrods, springs ect, If I do decide to stroke it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stroker vs. Heads cam car ?