Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing stock front shock nut with a stainless one...what size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing stock front shock nut with a stainless one...what size?

Hey everyone...I'm getting ready to get my car in the air tonight and swap in my Strano springs and Koni 4/4s along with a complete UMI rear suspension, and have done a lot of reading on the replacement process. Even though my car has always been garaged, I'm fully expecting to fight the rust issue that most of you have had to deal with. I've noticed that Major Lee Slow recommended replacing the nut with a stainless steel nylock nut, and I intend to do that. My question is, does anyone know what exact size I need and where I might be able to pick one up (Home Depot, Lowe's maybe)? I really want to get this done tonight, but the hardware stores will be closed by the time I get off work and get the assembly apart. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Your new shocks should have new nuts, take one of those to the hardware store to match size/thread pitch, great idea BTW!
Mine were a bitch, I had to dremel them off, do you have a dremel w/cutting wheel (several)? In fact, it took most of the time just getting the frozen nuts off....I didnt use stainless but I greased mine with grease from my grease gun to keep them from rusting again.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Your new shocks should have new nuts, take one of those to the hardware store to match size/thread pitch, great idea BTW!
Mine were a bitch, I had to dremel them off, do you have a dremel w/cutting wheel (several)? In fact, it took most of the time just getting the frozen nuts off....I didnt use stainless but I greased mine with grease from my grease gun to keep them from rusting again.

Good luck.
Wow, I didn't even realize that there were nuts on the new shocks. I guess I'll just run down to Ace Hardware and Home Depot as soon as I get off to match them up. Thanks.

And I do indeed have a Dremel, but I'm praying I won't need to use it.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Off the record, I'd not only use stainless, but I would not use nylock--instead use a nut and a good split-type lock washer.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

I ordered 18/8 SS M10-1.5 hex nuts and 18/8 SS lock washers off of a marine supply place. The M10-1.5 is the size you need for these from what i've seen.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Off the record, I'd not only use stainless, but I would not use nylock--instead use a nut and a good split-type lock washer.
Just to clarify Sam, you would recommend using a stainless nut but without nylock, or not use stainless at all?
Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I think what I said was pretty clear: "I'd not only use stainless, but I would not use nylock--instead use a nut and a good split-type lock washer."

I don't care if you use stainless or not, but you better use a lock-washer if you aren't using a nylock.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by csxfbird
Just to clarify Sam, you would recommend using a stainless nut but without nylock, or not use stainless at all?
Use stainless if you want, if you do make sure you are using a lock washer.
Stainless will just help resist corrosion.

Quick Reply: Replacing stock front shock nut with a stainless one...what size?