Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I got horrible shocks please help !

Old 06-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I got horrible shocks please help !

I installed 4 gabriel ultra shocks and 4 binstien lower coil springs in my car. Now i feel like im driving a truck. the ride is ugly every nik n cranny from the sroad makes a loud thumping noise behind my car plus it stops my music cause it shakes my whole car up. Is there any recommendation for the best quality in a ride for a 2002 camaro ss. i know its suppose to be a lil rough ride because of the type of car but this sounds very bad, my delphi stock shocks are better ride then this.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by draklon13
I installed 4 gabriel ultra shocks and 4 binstien lower coil springs in my car. Now i feel like im driving a truck. the ride is ugly every nik n cranny from the sroad makes a loud thumping noise behind my car plus it stops my music cause it shakes my whole car up. Is there any recommendation for the best quality in a ride for a 2002 camaro ss. i know its suppose to be a lil rough ride because of the type of car but this sounds very bad, my delphi stock shocks are better ride then this.
So what kind of springs are on the car and how much do you want to spend?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Teching In

there binstien springs model number 1999001, im looking to spend around 250
Old 06-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Teching In

i did some research and called several suspension shops plus KYB shocks corporate office, and they all told me im better off using my delphi stocks that came with the car and use the stock springs because when you lower your car you get a bad ride, if you want it for looks you must sacrifice the ride quality. Alot of shocks that are not from the dealer or stock are mainly high performance that will make your ride stiffer, which is good in a race track but when it comes to the streets of los angeles and highways your better staying with the stocks model if your a average driver, now is this true or what heh ? im geting confuse. i thought by buying new n improved shocks will make my ride smoother, not horrible
Old 06-26-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get some konis and you will be fine. lowering helps with handling and looks.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

$250? Forget it..... Sorry.

For $359 you can do a set of Tokico's that would certainly improve things drastically.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Teching In

are they better then the KYB gr2 models ?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

As far as I'm concerned they are....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Teching In

you got any original coil springs stock (that came with the delphi shocks) ?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Best quality ride for $250? Dream on.

You should have searched, then you would know that lowering springs on stock shocks is about the worst you can get. The only thing worse is lowering springs on shitty shocks, which you now have.

The Tokicos Sam mentioned are the cheapest things out there for decent quality on those springs (Which I believe are Bilstein, btw).

If you don't have the budget for Konis and want to stay lowered, get the Tokicos from Sam. A better option would be stock springs on some Bilstein HDs from Sam, if you don't need to be low.

You get what you pay for, and if you cheap out, you will pay for it.

Nut up and get some proper shocks.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's my understanding that Bilstein packages their lowering springs with THEIR shocks that are supposed to be valved properly. Any reason you didn't go this route?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Um, the Bilstein's are not up to the task either.... Those springs are quite stiff (stiffer than my springs in fact). I could sell that kit, it's on my website, but I don't like it, fwiw.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i did some research and called several suspension shops plus KYB shocks corporate office, and they all told me im better off using my delphi stocks that came with the car and use the stock springs because when you lower your car you get a bad ride, if you want it for looks you must sacrifice the ride quality.
All else equal your ride quality will be harsher with lowering springs, no matter which brand. But this does not mean the ride quality will be bad, or intolerable compared to stock.
Alot of shocks that are not from the dealer or stock are mainly high performance that will make your ride stiffer, which is good in a race track but when it comes to the streets of los angeles and highways your better staying with the stocks model if your a average driver, now is this true or what heh ? im geting confuse. i thought by buying new n improved shocks will make my ride smoother, not horrible
IMO there is a difference between "stiffer" and "firmer". GOOD shocks (not cheap over-the-counter ones) will ride dramatically better than stock while being more firm. The best way to explain this is to compare how a german sports sedan rides. Its firm, planted and very connected yet the ride isn't jarring. It doesn't "slap" bumps like the stock shocks make these cars feel.
If the shocks is valved badly its not going to matter whether or not its new, its going to ride and handle poorly. Just like it doesn't matter how new a paint job is if its done poorly. If you want quality parts you are going to have to pay a little more, that's all there is to it. Your best bet may be to pick up a set of strano spec bilstiens and go back to your stock springs if you want to go cheap and have good ride quality.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned the hard way, i bought some over the counter gabriel shocks on stock springs damn thing made it worse than the stock shock. I got lowering springs but those aint going on until i man up and buy some better shocks.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
IMO there is a difference between "stiffer" and "firmer". GOOD shocks (not cheap over-the-counter ones) will ride dramatically better than stock while being more firm. The best way to explain this is to compare how a german sports sedan rides. Its firm, planted and very connected yet the ride isn't jarring. It doesn't "slap" bumps like the stock shocks make these cars feel.
If the shocks is valved badly its not going to matter whether or not its new, its going to ride and handle poorly. Just like it doesn't matter how new a paint job is if its done poorly. If you want quality parts you are going to have to pay a little more, that's all there is to it. Your best bet may be to pick up a set of strano spec bilstiens and go back to your stock springs if you want to go cheap and have good ride quality.

As usual---well said. There is a difference between those, though I usually use the terms firm and harsh. In fact a car that is underdamped, say like a lot of us find with older stock shocks, the float, the vague disconnected feeling, still hit bumps like a sledgehammer. That's soft on damping and harsh. No reason you can't be firmer on damping and not harsh (and in fact we know we can have that).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I got horrible shocks please help !