Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor Install tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C Compressor Install tips

I'm going to replace the compressor on my car because my system is no longer cooling, but the clutch will engage so i'm assuming that means it has freon and the compressor is just not circulating it anymore. My clutch was real noisy, but would still cool. Then one day the noise stopped and it stopped cooling. A buddy of mine is going to vacuum the system down and refill it once the new compressor is on. Is there anything else I need to know or replace when we do the swap. Also whats the deal on the PAG Oil?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to replace the drier (accumulator) and orifice tube as well. Blow out your lines with compressed air to make sure that there aren't and metal shavings in the lines. PAG oil is what you put in the compressor before re-installing it. I believe our cars take PAG 100. A rebuilt compressor will probably not have PAG oil in it and you will need to add some. They hold about 6 oz. If the compressor has PAG oil in it, then it will state it on the compressor with a label so that you do not overcharge it with oil. New compressors almost always come with it. Be sure and pull a vacuum on the system once you get everything back together, that takes all of the air out of the open system. Recharge with freon and you should be set. Also, the top bolts on our compressors are easily accessible from the top once you get the drier removed. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 06-27-2009, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might also want to check the condenser to make sure that there are no obstructions in it so you dont have to pull it down again to change it