Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ideal ride heights for weight transfer/launching

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideal ride heights for weight transfer/launching

What are most of you doing for ride heights? Is higher/lower better? What about front to rear rake, is level better than some rake? Also, how low is too low? I sit about 27" in the rear from the ground to opening. Seems a little low for a drag setup and about 3/4 lower in front. I can adjust the front higher if need be and or put the stock springs back in the rear to raise the *** end if I need to get the rear up higher. Just not sure what is a good starting point. Most I have talked to just say put them where ever you want to. That really doesn't point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
What are most of you doing for ride heights? Is higher/lower better? What about front to rear rake, is level better than some rake? Also, how low is too low? I sit about 27" in the rear from the ground to opening. Seems a little low for a drag setup and about 3/4 lower in front. I can adjust the front higher if need be and or put the stock springs back in the rear to raise the *** end if I need to get the rear up higher. Just not sure what is a good starting point. Most I have talked to just say put them where ever you want to. That really doesn't point me in the right direction. Thanks.
There really is no specific ideal. To get really rough though, you don't really want rake. This will push the center of gravity of the car more toward the front making weight transfer more difficult. The uppermost portion of the fenderwells should be level with each other or no more than 3/4 difference. Like I said though, that's rough.

Rideheight for optimum drag launching isn't done by measuring, it's done by scaling. Properly shifting certain percentages of total car weight from corner to corner by adjusting the ride height with coilovers.

Ex. Raising the drivers side front will transfer weight to the passenger side rear.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

^^^If you scale the car you will find it is very hard to change the corner weights with the coilovers up front. I have tried and would turn one side or the other 3 full rounds to get 5lbs diff. THe scale you want the rear to be level and then use the rear swaybar to preload the weight you want. I am just trying to get the right ride heights so I can finish the alignment and then the final setup on the scales.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

This is what I ended up with. If any one sees a problem with these settings please let me know.

26 1/4 26

27 1/8 26 7/8

That is 1/4 side difference and 7/8 front to rear diff. This was with the front bar gone and the rear disconnected. Once I finished I put 2 extra washers on the right side of the rear bar endlink to preload the right side. I will do one more final alignment and scale if this looks good to everyone. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Ideal ride heights for weight transfer/launching