Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Car seat install

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car seat install

I'm a long time lurker, and recently re joined the flock. Back in the day I had an 87 GTA that I did some work to. Now I have a 2000 Trans Am, and it feels good to be home again.

Cutting to the chase. I'm trying to put my daughters car seat in the back and I'm just not having any luck. I can get it situated, and I know about the LATCH anchor back behind the seat, but when I pull the seat belt all the way out to anchor the base, nothing happens. In just about every other vehicle I can remember, doing this would engage a ratchet inside the retractor and make it so that I could hold tension on the belt and cinch the seat down. None of the belts in the TA ratchet and I'm wondering if there is some trick I am missing. The car didn't come with an owners manual, so I downloaded one and it really doesn't help.

A little insight?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it seems less than ideal, but I managed to hook the LATCH restraint belt into the standard lap belt attachment to the body. Everything tightens down well, but I can't believe this is what the General had in mind when he designed these cars. In light of this I guess my question now becomes:

Are my seat belts bad and do they need to be replaced?

Thanks again
Old 06-27-2009, 10:34 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Try giving the over-the-shoulder part of the seatbelt a quick tug. That should cause it to retract.

Quick Reply: Car seat install