Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Eats Alternators

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Eats Alternators

I have a 2000 Z and it has a tendancy to eat an alternator. Last year I went through 5 I think, I took it to the GM dealership and they messed with it a ended up putting a new PCM and GM alternator in the car. This was about 8 months ago. So I am still under the 12mo/12K warenty

Then last night I had it out (Just put a cam and Ls6 intake on it last weekend) and got on it pretty hard and banged a few gears and when I got out of it I noticed my amps dropped off, so I took here home before the battery did on me.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The results of a search:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...lternator.html
AIRC, there's a recent thread about repeat failures.. Didn't find that in the search....
Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the GM dealerhsip used a rebuilt alternator, I know LS1's HATE those. People have seen LS1s spit em out faster that **** through a goose. I put a new one in and viola, the problem went away. Been goin for 6 months or so now. Used to replace em every two weeks or so.

Also check your power steering rack. If it spits PS fluid on your alternator, it will kill it.