Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty header install difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty header install difficulty

I just got a really good deal on some edelbrock direct bolt on shorty headers for my 2000 camaro ls1....(Please no "ditch them and go for long tube," they were only 100 bucks)
I wanted to install them but don't know the difficulty, I have been calling around and most places want 350-500 dollars to install! Is it that difficult? I just saw an article in GM high tech that did it on a 99 and it didn't seem to bad. I am no mechanic but I have worked on a lot of cars mostly older classics, never am aluminum head. Are they painting a grim picture or is it pretty straight forward. Any help would be appreciated. The car only has 40000 miles and has been a garage queen for the last 6 years. The cats were just replaced under warranty so I know there should not be any frozen bolts up until the manifolds.

Thank you

Zach
Old 06-27-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

the shorties should be easy to put on. As long as you have room to lift and work under your car.

I would still sell them for 100 bucks and pick up a set of used pacesetters for 150-200.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I appreciate the advice but let me know if I am way off....
Pacesetters, 150-200 if you can find them that cheap and with AIR hookup
Tune out codes? 200-300 for tuner
special cats?- 300
y-pipe?- 90
constant scraping on speedbumps or steep driveway....priceless

I can't afford that....not at this time.
Or hey a set of edelbrock easy hook up shorties...might not give me as much...but I am willing to try for a 100 bucks.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

all it takes to put these in is patience and a few hours. you'll most likely have some banged up knuckles afterwards, so i have to agree that long tubes would be more worth the headache and you really won't see a lot of gain from shorties. oh, and a ratcheting 10mm box wrench is your friend with the rear passenger side header bolt.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I have a standard set, looks like I'll get a 10mm too.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been a part of three LT installs. In order to remove the manifolds you definitely have to remove the cats and Y-pipe. But you said the cats were recently replaced, so you're right, the bolts shouldn't be at risk of breaking. I would still get the car in the air and spray all the bolts with penetrating lube for a few days before begining your install. Other than that, I'm sure it'll be no problem for you. Good luck with your install.

P.S. If you eventually want to do longtubes and an aftermarket Y, be sure you upgrade your motor mounts at the same time, so your new Y-pipe doesn't bang the floorpan. You shouldn't have any problem like this with the shorties, but you could also do this during their installation. That way it'd be taken care of and outta the way. Just a thought. Like I said, good luck.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I appreciate your advice thank you. I hope it does go well, if it doesn't I am sure I will be on for help.

Zach

Quick Reply: Shorty header install difficulty