Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crate vs. Salvage for groundup build

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crate vs. Salvage for groundup build

I want to put a ls1/ls6 in my 70 Chevelle and I am starting from scratch. I will also be putting a blower on it. I am a little hesitant to buy a motor from an online salvage/dealership but they are a good price and come with all the components I need. Keep in mind I have no cores. Trying to keep the long block to $3k-$5k depending quality.
Head recommendations for a Magnuson roots blower?

Aside from all the extras, does anyone have any advice on which way to go?? Any success/horror stories??

TH350, transbrake, 3400 stall
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I currently have a 350 putting out 450hp running 12.1 quarter. A long block is bottom end and heads. I don't need a manifold because of the supercharger. If I bought a long block I would buy a aftermarket harness and sensors. There are wrecks out there for roughly $3500 but most have +50k miles. Is it safe to buy a wreck and supercharge it if it has +50k miles, assuming it is in good condition?

Last edited by 70_Chevelle_; 06-27-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i highly reccomend HKE, they will build you a bulletproof ls engine at reasonable price.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Your best bet is to buy a wreck and then you have every little part you will need. That said, then I would buy a forged shortblock if you are going to supercharge it.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are not going to be able to put it together for under 5K.

I don't know what you consider a long block to be, but don't forget you will need all the little things like a Water pump, oil pump, Engine managment system, headers.

I would do some real research on this site (as well as others) to figure out what you are really wanting.... and then diligently save up to get it. Are you stuck on an ls1? BBC cam be done for much cheaper so long as you don't care about gas mileage. Just a thought... BBC is definately the way I would go in your situation.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 70_Chevelle_
I want to put a ls1/ls6 in my 70 Chevelle and I am starting from scratch. I will also be putting a blower on it. I am a little hesitant to buy a motor from an online salvage/dealership but they are a good price and come with all the components I need. Keep in mind I have no cores. Trying to keep the long block to $3k-$5k depending quality.
Head recommendations for a Magnuson roots blower?

Aside from all the extras, does anyone have any advice on which way to go?? Any success/horror stories??

TH350, transbrake, 3400 stall
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I currently have a 350 putting out 450hp running 12.1 quarter. A long block is bottom end and heads. I don't need a manifold because of the supercharger. If I bought a long block I would buy a aftermarket harness and sensors. There are wrecks out there for roughly $3500 but most have +50k miles. Is it safe to buy a wreck and supercharge it if it has +50k miles, assuming it is in good condition?

What kind of rwhp are you looking for? What do you want the car to do? Is it a daily driver? Are you sure you need a Maggie?

Planning should come before the build. My advice is to decide what you want to achieve in performance and go from there.

FWIW, a 6.0L iron-block truck engine should be much more reasonable from a yard, and you would be amazed at how strong the stock bottom end is. Better rod bolts will allow it to rev safely to the high 7000s, and live with the kind of power you are probably talking about. You can then spend your money on the top end (heads, intake, valvetrain) and make some serious power. If the Maggie must be in the picture, you still need decent heads and valvetrain.

This has all be done for a reasonable budget. Not everyone believes that, but some fast cars do.

Good luck, but plan well before dropping any cash.

Jon
Old 06-28-2009, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

first and foremost this is only my opinion.......
if you dont already have the blower, dont buy it.
spend the money to build a motor that could handle the blower in the future.
i find myself always sprapped down with a tight budget. and from what i have learned ls swaps are not the cheapest thing but well worth it. spend your money wisely and set attainable goals within your budget.
as for buying from a salvage yard isn't a bad idea. you can get a lot of stuff mentioned in the above posts that you will not get from a create motor.