General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Camaro will not idle or stay running

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Camaro will not idle or stay running

The problem I am having is that the car will not stay running. This is with my 95 3800 Camaro. It will start no problem and stay running if you hold the starter all the way forward but once you let the key go, it dies. Also, the gauge lights do not come on when you turn the key forward to the on position like they usually should. Before the car went dead completely, while driving, the speedo and tach would go all over the place and it would want to stall out randomly.

I have already checked the battery, its good. Check the terminals, main lines from the battery and all the grounds. I did find a broken ground but even after fixing that, the problem did not change. Checked all the fuses, relays, took apart the underside of dash and do not see any loose or broken wires running along the steering column. Alternator is fine, running around 14.1. Thinking maybe something in the starter?

Last edited by Fb0dy0nly; 06-28-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

weird, good luck
Old 06-29-2009, 03:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like something in the column. Maybe the actual ignition assembly in the column is hurt.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

if it stays running when you hold the key in the start position then dies when you let it go, most likely some wiring problem at the ignition like tim99ws6 said. It shouldn't be the starter, becuase like the name states, it is only used to start it, not keep it running. so if it starts fine, everytime, then you have no starter problem.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:38 PM

Default Electric ignition switch

I just had this exact problem. It was the electric ignition switch---not the key lock cylinder.
halfway down the colum on the top side there is an electric switch. Takes about an hour to change. Unbolt front end of steering column and it will push down far enough for you to get to everything. Its a tight fit hut not hard to change
p.s. $40 at autozone

Quick Reply: Camaro will not idle or stay running