Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Hurt more than helping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Hurt more than helping?

Hey guys, so about six months ago i installed headers on my car and was short on money so i just did a custom 3 in x pipe into 3in pipe and dumped before the rear axle with no mufflers. Before i did this i trapped about 107 and after i trapped 112.. I know that may not matter at all since it was two different days and with headers the second time. OKay well now that it is hotter out my car is trapping 106-107.
So my questions is my non restrictive exhaust helping me more overall in the top end or is my lack of back pressure killing me in the low end. do i need to find a medium?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is my understanding that wanting back pressure on these cars is a myth. I'm certain your exhaust should be helping, but you could possibly be running very rich, or maybe the custom exhaust was done up incorrectly and has alot of creases and bends in it and such.

Sounds really unusual to me what is going on with your car. But track prep, temp, and all kinds of things factor in. Were you on drs both times? What gears do you have?

Last edited by Swift_01_z-28; 06-29-2009 at 02:51 AM.