General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

00 Camaro SS power steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 00 Camaro SS power steering issues

The steering rack was leaking so I replaced the rack. Then about 2 weeks later the car was real hard to turn to the right at idle but if I rev it up it would turn easy. I also notciced the power steering pump was leaking, so I replaced the power steering pump. It was still the same symptons as before hard to turn right at idle plus the new pump was still leaking, so I replced the pump again. Its not leaking anymore but it is still hard to turn right at idle and when you give it some gas it turns easy. IM STUMPED. Anyone have this problem before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by capjmp
The steering rack was leaking so I replaced the rack. Then about 2 weeks later the car was real hard to turn to the right at idle but if I rev it up it would turn easy. I also notciced the power steering pump was leaking, so I replaced the power steering pump. It was still the same symptons as before hard to turn right at idle plus the new pump was still leaking, so I replced the pump again. Its not leaking anymore but it is still hard to turn right at idle and when you give it some gas it turns easy. IM STUMPED. Anyone have this problem before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I wonder if there could be some air in there. The rack. Air doesn't compress very well like when air gets in the brake lines.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Teching In

I thought the same thing but how do you bleed the system.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Launching!

I believe turning the steering wheel the left stopping point to the right stopping point, about 20 times. With the cap off the power steering reservoir while you do this.

Am I right guys?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Banned

I thought the same thing but how do you bleed the system.
What "Pitbull" said. I think I turned mine like 2-3 times full left and right and that emptied everything out. It shoots out VERY strong. But have a friend there with you constantly pouring new fluid in. You don't want that pump running dry. When your friend sees the new, clean fluid coming out, stop the engine, hook up the lines, start the engine and fill the reservior back to the full level. Done.

This is how I did mine when I put my aftermarket power steering cooler on.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
What "Pitbull" said. I think I turned mine like 2-3 times full left and right and that emptied everything out. It shoots out VERY strong. But have a friend there with you constantly pouring new fluid in. You don't want that pump running dry. When your friend sees the new, clean fluid coming out, stop the engine, hook up the lines, start the engine and fill the reservior back to the full level. Done.

This is how I did mine when I put my aftermarket power steering cooler on.

So i have to loosen a line also, or just take the reservoir capoff?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Banned

So i have to loosen a line also, or just take the reservoir capoff?
Well, first, do you have a factory power steering fluid cooler?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Teching In

This is my first Fbody and have only owned it for a month or so, with that being said. Were would that be located. Cuase I havent seen it.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Teching In

I dont see anythin cooler in line with the pump or rack, lines go straight from the rack to the pump. THis car is weighing heavy on my nerves. I have owned 25+ mustang and have not been this agitated.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Banned

This is the upper radiator hose. The factory power steering fluid cooler is that metal piece (pipe) inbetween the two rubber hose ends. it only came on some F-Body's, if you don;'t have it....GOOD...its a piece of **** and really only causes the PS fluid to get a **** ton hotter, not cooler.

Last edited by LS6427; 06-30-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Banned

So, if you don't have that, just unhook the hose that is coming from the rack and connecting to the bottom of the reservoir. Disconnect it at the reservior and hang it down near the ground into a fluid catch tub or whatever. If you have a friend to help he can simply hold the hose down so the fluid sprays into the tub. The fluid will be cool so don;t worry about it splashing hot. (as long as your doing this with a cold engine). I was alone and used a vice-grip and clipped it to the hose without squeezing it too much and let it hang on it...that kept it pointing down into the tub.
You need to plug that port on the bottom of the reservoir where you just removed the hose while you do this. Any way you can cap it off.

As you turn the steering wheel from side to side the fluid will spray out pretty fast. If you can get another friend to keep pouring new fluid in you'll be sure it doesn't run out. If not, just fill it up to the top, reach in and turn the wheel a coupel times side-to-side, then refill, and so on......

So really, your not flushing the system out, then refilling it with new fluid. So new air bubbles should never form inside the system. This process purges what air bubbles are in there. You're gonna just run new fluid through it till you see the new clean fluid coming out. The system will always have fluid throughout it.

I think I bought 4 bottles and almost used them all. But I'm a phsyco, I wanted every drop of the old out and all new in. After all, my fluid was literally 11 years old and had never been touched or even topped off. So it was dirty as hell, just thick black.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Banned

I also recommend doing this. It cost me $40. It'll only cost you about $30 because you already have a rubber upper hose that I had to buy to replace mine.

It takes 20-30 minutes to hook up and your power steering pump will love it.

Just buy the 4 line cooler from Advance Auto. 3 foot long 3/8" heater hose. 3 new clamps.

JUst take the line coming from the rack and connect it to one of the cooler ports. Then take the new hose and connect it to the other port and run the other end up to the bottom of the reservoir port. Clamp all 3.
Zip tie the cooler in place with the included zip-ties.
Take a razor knife and cut out that strip so it gets ram air cooling while your moving.
DONE.

Last edited by LS6427; 06-30-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

my 2000 ss does the exact same thing! I haven't replaced anything on it. No leaks, and the car only has 60,000 miles on it. I thought that power steering cooler seemed like a dumb idea. Might be buying an aftermarket cooler soon.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phoenix305
my 2000 ss does the exact same thing! I haven't replaced anything on it. No leaks, and the car only has 60,000 miles on it. I thought that power steering cooler seemed like a dumb idea. Might be buying an aftermarket cooler soon.
I can put my hand on that after market cooler no matter how long or what type of driving I'm doing on a 95*F day...its just warm to the touch, nothing more. You touch one of those factory coolers and keep your hand on it for 5 seconds and you'll have 3rd degree burns.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Launching!

I like how the aftermarket cooler is setup. Whenever I get a chance during a weekend and im bored, I will tackle that mod down haha
Old 05-03-2010, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

how much is that 4 line cooler

im tired of messing with mine it has messed up 2 alternator making them jump from 18 volts back down to 9 or lower then killing my car and about 5 things of power steering fluid and every weekend working on it

did you just bypass the stock cooler or take it off and get a longer hose?

Quick Reply: 00 Camaro SS power steering issues