AC help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC help

I left my ac dryer was unplugged for a month. Should I just get a new one or try filling it will oil and trying to reuse it.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:55 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done it and it worked fine. Its your choice. If you fill it yourself with the autoparts stuff it has some kind of additive (Acid) to help get rid of moister. And if you have a shop charge it for you then just have them pull a vacum on it for a little bit atleast that is what I have done at least 4-5 times with all the motor swaps I've done etc... GL.
Jeff
Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I've done it and it worked fine. Its your choice. If you fill it yourself with the autoparts stuff it has some kind of additive (Acid) to help get rid of moister. And if you have a shop charge it for you then just have them pull a vacum on it for a little bit atleast that is what I have done at least 4-5 times with all the motor swaps I've done etc... GL.
Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I have a friend down the street that does ac work, and he takes a vaccum home with him from work everyday. I was gonna flush the condensor and what kind of stuff from the auto parts store do I need to look at?
Nick.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

I'd buy a new one. They are only $50.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

did you lose a compressor? among other things the drier catches moisture and debris , a good vacuum held long enough will take care of the moisture, but it will do nothing for the debris if there is any (compressor going out... orifice tube coming apart, etc).

Jeff is talking about a desiccant, Ive never used one, and I won't pretend to know what they are using as a desiccant, something tells me it's not an acid....

Originally Posted by avengedws6
Thanks Jeff. I have a friend down the street that does ac work, and he takes a vaccum home with him from work everyday. I was gonna flush the condensor and what kind of stuff from the auto parts store do I need to look at?
Nick.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FSM recommends replacement if it has been left open for a long period of time.....just doesn't say what a long period of time is.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I unplugged it when I did my hci swap. The car never moved with the hose disconnected.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Just replace it.

Its one of the cheaper parts of the system and easy to get to.

They really should not be open for more than a few hours at most.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:33 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
did you lose a compressor? among other things the drier catches moisture and debris , a good vacuum held long enough will take care of the moisture, but it will do nothing for the debris if there is any (compressor going out... orifice tube coming apart, etc).

Jeff is talking about a desiccant, Ive never used one, and I won't pretend to know what they are using as a desiccant, something tells me it's not an acid....
You bring up a good point. I didn't ask why it was apart I just assumed because of motor work etc... cause that is why it happens for me. I have had mine apart for over a year and just pulled a vacum on it and then charged it it will freeze your *** off too etc... And as far as flushing the condencer etc... Well if you didn't tape up the opening it wouldn't be a bad thing and also pull the orfice tube and clean it out as well, I always do that regardless of why its apart. And I am pretty sure it was a boric acid that was in there to remove the moister, but I'll have to look again either way it won't matter if your buddy is going to help you out. remember it only takes 1.5 lbs in an F-body, but a lot of the books tell you 2lbs. It will work either way, but more refrigerant doesn't mean better cooling.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inspector12
You bring up a good point. I didn't ask why it was apart I just assumed because of motor work etc... cause that is why it happens for me. I have had mine apart for over a year and just pulled a vacum on it and then charged it it will freeze your *** off too etc... And as far as flushing the condencer etc... Well if you didn't tape up the opening it wouldn't be a bad thing and also pull the orfice tube and clean it out as well, I always do that regardless of why its apart. And I am pretty sure it was a boric acid that was in there to remove the moister, but I'll have to look again either way it won't matter if your buddy is going to help you out. remember it only takes 1.5 lbs in an F-body, but a lot of the books tell you 2lbs. It will work either way, but more refrigerant doesn't mean better cooling.
Thanks I will try that when I change the oil, I will go ahead and change the coolant also, since I gotta take the radiator and condensor back out to replace my orfice tube thing. I have to replace the upper fill line cause it had a huge nasty rip in it. I think a header may have hit it during install.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:13 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

The orfice tube is not in the condencer it is in the upper A/C line you speak of. You will see it gets bigger right where it attaches to the evaperator core. When it is off the car look in and you will see either a white or black plastic piece just take a pare of needle nose pliers and pull it out and insert new one, ut if you are buying a new one it should come with one installed in it, but double check that.