Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issues with new powersteering pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issues with new powersteering pulley

My car for some reason backed out the old powersteering pulley and shattered it in my engine bay.

Upon installation of a new pulley, and using a pulley installation tool. ( not using an impact gun) i keep on shredding the belts.

Now my main question is. is the lip inside the pulley supposed to sit flush with the powersteering shaft?

I'm currently using a two wrench technique and a snap-on installation tool and i've tightened it to the point where the wrench is leveraging on the pump and starting to nuge it over/twist the pump.

Do i need to use an impact gun ?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
Old 06-30-2009, 07:40 PM

You have to seat the new pump all the way down on the shaft...and its a pain I know! it should be directly in line with belt routing. As far as shredding belts check to make sure its not your idler pulley bearings are not whats shot and throwing the belt. And as to your pulley just coming off in the engine compartment...WTF???
Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

in that case i need a impact gun to fully get the item on the vehicle.

i just changed the idler pulley/bearing setup also

the car makes 750 WHP 660 torquer might be a reason why i shattered the pump pulley. doesn't help it gets hot and my headers are right close to the pulley
Old 07-01-2009, 12:35 PM

You should be able to get it on with a standard press/remover tool I've had to do mine twice...are you removing the radiator plastic shroud and everything thats in the way?