General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant boiling/gurgling and dissapearing..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant boiling/gurgling and dissapearing..

A few days ago I went to start my car to leave work and it would try to start then not turn over, and one try when i turned the key back the temp gauge didnt go back down and then the next try it started but the temp gauge was acting like 200 or so was the bottom of the gauge and went up from there, ran fine, drove home only a 10 min drive, nothing went wrong. Checked it in the morning and the gauge acted normally again.

Drove home from work tonight, speed limit the whole way, didn't even get on it.. got home, everything was fine, turned the car off and got out and started to put the tops back on and heard what sounded like a gurgling under the hood so I popped it and called my dad out. At this point the temp gauge was around 210 (middle of the gauge I think?) but I know the whole way home it was under 180 since Ive been watching the gauges for the past few days after the previous happened. So we waited till it sounded like it was simmering down and took the radiator cap off and it sounded like the coolant was boiling and it was definitely low so we put more in and it took it, and more, and more.. but there were no signs of a leak in the engine bay or under the car, eventually it stopped taking more and stayed full. Dad started the car and ran it for a while and it was ok but the fan wouldn't kick in and it was running hot still..

So Im gonna go get a new sender tomorrow I think, and I know I need new hoses cause the ones in there now are getting pretty soft, what should I do about the fan? Any ideas of the overall situation?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JSchaefer97
A few days ago I went to start my car to leave work and it would try to start then not turn over, and one try when i turned the key back the temp gauge didnt go back down and then the next try it started but the temp gauge was acting like 200 or so was the bottom of the gauge and went up from there, ran fine, drove home only a 10 min drive, nothing went wrong. Checked it in the morning and the gauge acted normally again.

Drove home from work tonight, speed limit the whole way, didn't even get on it.. got home, everything was fine, turned the car off and got out and started to put the tops back on and heard what sounded like a gurgling under the hood so I popped it and called my dad out. At this point the temp gauge was around 210 (middle of the gauge I think?) but I know the whole way home it was under 180 since Ive been watching the gauges for the past few days after the previous happened. So we waited till it sounded like it was simmering down and took the radiator cap off and it sounded like the coolant was boiling and it was definitely low so we put more in and it took it, and more, and more.. but there were no signs of a leak in the engine bay or under the car, eventually it stopped taking more and stayed full. Dad started the car and ran it for a while and it was ok but the fan wouldn't kick in and it was running hot still..

So Im gonna go get a new sender tomorrow I think, and I know I need new hoses cause the ones in there now are getting pretty soft, what should I do about the fan? Any ideas of the overall situation?

Thanks in advance.
Is your car a 1998?

It was hot and gurgling and you took the radiator cap "off"...or did you take the cap off the "overflow" reservior?

Last edited by LS6427; 06-29-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned

Anytime the coolant boils, it usually points to blown head gasket(s). If air gets in, you get boiling coolant. If you have a tight, sealed coolant system your temp guage can bury into the red and nothing will happen at all.

Your fan issue can be a failed fan motor or maybe the "coolent temp sensor" is failing. Your fans should always come "on" and go "off" together. A failing or failed coolant temp sensor wil lalso make your fans act wierd and not work, and it'll make your temp guage act wierd.

Check your fan fuses under the hood, make sure they're ok.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...adiatorcap.jpg
Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Banned

How long has it been since you checked the coolant level before today?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

a few weeks maybe? Ive only had the car a month or so.

- its a 97 formula ws6. only performance mod is exhaust (ive had the cut-out open the past week or so)
- ill check the fuses tomorrow morning.

and we actually just replaced the water pump a few weeks ago. and after we refilled the reservoir we put a different cap on.

Last edited by JSchaefer97; 06-29-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Banned

a few weeks maybe? Ive only had the car a month or so
Well, you have a couple things to check.

Fan fuses/relays.
Coolant temp sensor.
Leakdown check on all cylinders to find a possible blown head gasket.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, Im off work tomorrow so I have all day to do whatever is needed.

but wouldnt we know if it was a blown head gasket since after we refilled it we ran it for a while (and rev'd and held at higher rpm) and it didnt drink any more coolant.?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Banned

but wouldnt we know if it was a blown head gasket since after we refilled it we ran it for a while (and rev'd and held at higher rpm) and it didnt drink any more coolant.?
edit: I see you edited your post saying you have a new radiator cap. Maybe its bad.

Tell ya what, here's what you do tomorrow. $15.00. Go get a new radiator cap in another car if you can...so your engine will remain cold. Come home and start the engine with the radiator cap "off". Top off the coolant and stand there and wait forthe t-stat to open. You will see the coolant level drop down. Top it off again and put the new cap on. Then take a drive through the city streets for about 30 minutes. See what happens. You could just need a new one. If its old.

When they get old, they slowly over time leak coolant out because the srping tension loses pressure. When it gets too low on coolant you will then slowly start run hot and it will boil the coolant thats left in there.

Is your over-flow tank full of coolant?

Last edited by LS6427; 06-30-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Banned

Usually when a gasket has a leak the pistons push air into the cooling system, rather than suck it out. But that does happen too. Cylinder pressure beats coolant system pressure every time so the air going into the coolant wins the battle.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Your overflow had to be to the correct level or your fans wont kick on i had the same problem and i thought it was the fans and my car would overheat after driving for an extended time. I filled the overflow up to the correct level and it hasnt did it sense. i felt like an idiot because it was so simple i was just thinking something major was wrong when it wasnt.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02_camaroz28
Your overflow had to be to the correct level or your fans wont kick on i had the same problem and i thought it was the fans and my car would overheat after driving for an extended time. I filled the overflow up to the correct level and it hasnt did it sense. i felt like an idiot because it was so simple i was just thinking something major was wrong when it wasnt.
Is that an LT1 thing?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Try a New radiator cap but get it from a dealer. The autozone one's want last long. I had a similar problem and the new cap fixed it.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

We have a project formy in the garage so i swapped radiator caps with that one, and is the overflow tank the long black plastic tube with a plastic cap/wide rubber dipstick that would be just off to the left in the pic i linked to?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

+1 on the radiator cap. The cap from GM is a special type that regulates pressure in the radiator and keeps the siphon going between the radiator and the overflow tank.

The gurgling you were hearing may have been an upset siphon between the tank and radiator. You should also make sure your overflow tank is full. When the coolant cools down, it contracts and sucks extra coolant from the tank to the radiator. Likewise as it heats up and expands it pumps the excess out to the tank. If your tank is low, it may have been sucking air in to the system.

Regardless, if you have a good siphon, your radiator should be full when you take the cap off.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

+1 on the radiator cap. The cap from GM is a special type that regulates pressure in the radiator and keeps the siphon going between the radiator and the overflow tank.

The gurgling you were hearing may have been an upset siphon between the tank and radiator. You should also make sure your overflow tank is full. When the coolant cools down, it contracts and sucks extra coolant from the tank to the radiator. Likewise as it heats up and expands it pumps the excess out to the tank. If your tank is low, it may have been sucking air in to the system.

Regardless, if you have a good siphon, your radiator should be full when you take the cap off.
Today 08:42 AM
I think that is what happened is there was not enough in there. I replaced the coolant/engine temp sensor/sender and the fans kick on at 210 like they should. and put a different cap on it so well see.