General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please help me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me!!!!

Hi I am new to this site. I have a 98 Firebird. When I start it it feels like it wants to stall but only for about 20 seconds. when i step on the gas it jerks about 5 times and then its fine after i get over 30mph. please help me.

JaviPlease help me!!!!-attachment.jpg
Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did this start all of a sudden, or has it been building up to this.

Take out some spark plugs and see if you have wet raw oil on the threads.

Other thing could be a dirty MAF. Simple fix.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Teching In

it just suddenly happend. so im looking for oil on the ends. also what is a maf?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

A dirty MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor could be a problem, but if you are getting this issue right on startup, it could be a number of emissions systems. (Coolant Temperature, EGR, IAT, etc.)

I'd suggest first getting it scanned to see if the PCM is storing any codes.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tnfcdude
it just suddenly happend. so im looking for oil on the ends. also what is a maf?
If it suddenly started out of the blue, its probably not the MAF. The MAF is the round sensor in line with the intake bellows just before the throttle body. It has an electrical plug connected to it. The air goes into the intake filter, then into the hose, then through the MAF and into the throttle body, then into the intake.

Yes, look for raw oil on the threads of the spark plug and on the electrode. If its on the threads it'll be o nthe electrodes too.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Teching In

do you know how much the maf's run? I changes my fuel filter and that wasn't it.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

do you know how much the maf's run? I changes my fuel filter and that wasn't it.
Several hundreds of dollars for a MAF. You can get special MAF cleaner for $5 and clean it though.

You'll save a ton of money if you get your car scanned to see if the computer can point to the problem. Experimenting with sensor change-outs will get very expensive.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you done any of the suggestions recommended to you on the forum? I know it's hard sometimes, I'm still trying to diagnose an electrical problem I'm having with mine. Replaced the alternator, the battery, batter cable end-connectors and I really don't know what else to do. Every day or two the battery dies. I have to post up and see if these guys can help me out. Almost sounds like your car is flooding to me? I wonder if just a good ol can of injector cleaner (available at almost all gas bars) would do the trick. If not, stick to the forums and if that doesn't get you anywhere quick enough or if you have a few bucks for diagnostics, bring her in and get her looked at.

You might just find that it's something simple ie: dirty maf (mass air flow sensor-located right where the air intake lid connects to-that little piece black corregated plastic (bellow) that connects to a metal plate (about an inch thick with wires running to it). Be very careful if you pull off your air intake (that can be a tight fit to get on/off) to have a look at the maf. What the maf looks like inside is a hollowed out hole/port that has a few metal like fishing line type strings going across the whole space of the port. They are delicate and those little beads you see hanging on those little wires going across, DON'T TOUCH THOSE, those are your sensors. It could be throwing your air fuel mixture off though if it is dirty in there. Ie: grass, dirt, or whatever else could be in there. Have you checked your air filter yet or for an exhaust leak?

All of these things can confuse the computer/pcm into making your car want to stall out or idle rough. I will post this reply in your thread too to see if anyone more knowledgeable then myself in this area cares to chime in. Good luck man, and don't let it get you down, it's just a car and try to remember, you'll learn something new each time you get her fixed. It's best to figure it out yourself in most cases, if not- learn
Old 07-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Banned

Hey man, if you're not gonna do what we tell you you're gonna be wasting your time and ours.....and you could be wasting you're money.

Pull 4 spark plugs out. The two front ones on the passenger side. Then the first and third plugs on the drivers side. It will take you 20 minutes to do all 4. Take pictures of the spark plugs to post.

Get a can off MAF cleaner. Clean the MAF good, and also lift your lid and spray the Inlet Air Sensor while its still in the lid. Don't take it out. (((As mentioned....DO NOT touch the little tiny sensor wires inside the MAF, let the spray do all the cleaning))) Spray the honeycomb screen real good too.

While you're there get a free PCM scan for possible codes.

Thats it.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the voice of reason to me How's it goin' LS6427? I'm still dealing with my battery/alt/relay/electrical/headlight problem. Two alternators, new battery, new ign cylinder with keys, new battery side post bolts, load tests, charging system tests, cleaned all grounds, etc etc etc!!! Lol. All that's left to do now is change the tires lmao. God these things can drive you crazy! BUT...I've got it narrowed down now with your help awhile back and some of these things needed to be done anyways. I learned the hard way just to take the advice off here and go with it. Saves time and money and I learned a lot in the process! Thanks again dude, and good luck OP! You're in good hands here. But you have to start somewhere and troubleshoot from there, take these guy's advice and then post back and let them know what's going on.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Sounds like the voice of reason to me How's it goin' LS6427? I'm still dealing with my battery/alt/relay/electrical/headlight problem. Two alternators, new battery, new ign cylinder with keys, new battery side post bolts, load tests, charging system tests, cleaned all grounds, etc etc etc!!! Lol. All that's left to do now is change the tires lmao. God these things can drive you crazy! BUT...I've got it narrowed down now with your help awhile back and some of these things needed to be done anyways. I learned the hard way just to take the advice off here and go with it. Saves time and money and I learned a lot in the process! Thanks again dude, and good luck OP! You're in good hands here. But you have to start somewhere and troubleshoot from there, take these guy's advice and then post back and let them know what's going on.
I think you need to balance your tires, thats all.